BA’s Paid for Seating Policy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

• Bucksnet
    Participant

Sorry, I didn’t think that would be the trap. I thought something dissing BA that he would feel the need to counter.

WeeTravels
    Participant

Alas, we may never find out his true identity now….

pdtraveller
    Participant

What a pity that the forum has again been hijacked by a mouthpiece of the BA marketing department! It has been going so well recently with some very good threads on a wide variety of issues.

This has nothing to do with BA seating policy and everything to do with the promotion of one individuals preferred carrier no matter how ridiculous the policy, procedures or behaviour of that carrier.

Looks like a particularly virulent perennial weed is back! Time for for some more path clear BT.

Tramor01
    Participant

I have zero status (blue) with BA…… and I can’t ever see me achieving status in the forseeable future…… Especially when they want me to pay an additional fee on top of the thousands already paid for a ticket to be be given the “privilege” of being allowed to book in advance one of their seats in the cramped “battert farm environment” they call business class.
    I’ll stick with Star alliance, or one of the other carries who don’t go out of their way to “rip you off” in this way thank you

VK reincarnated as SM… who knows but the champagne does smell a bit corked

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I cannot think of an airline I’ve booked with that separates people / families who booked at the same time and usually paid for the booking on one cc. It’s actually iniquitous in my opinion.

Charging for a seat reservation is pure robbery whatever the class, but especially in the higher revenue categories of Business or First. Both LX and SAA let you choose a seat at the time of booking for free. That’s how it should be.

JohnHarper
    Participant

BA charging premium passengers for seats is another reason to simply avoid flying BA. I’m sure it was a little Willie initiative and it has all the appeal of most of his other initiatives.

Really IAG need to do themselves a favour and rid themselves of this idiot before he does any more harm and goodness knows, he’s done plenty already.

kris_alpha
    Participant

Have BA changed their policy recently ? I have a number of upcoming segements, and when I looked to change a seat (iphone and website), today I was prior able to move for free, they were now looking for 35£, or 5£ on another domestic segement. I have Oneworld Sapphire, My staus hasn’t changed. I’m guessing it’s a glitch on the website. Is anyone with BA status able to confirm they have the same issue ?
    Many thks

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

It seems that SergeantMajor misses the point entirely.

I am delighted for him that he does not need to pay or has never paid for a seat but I would like him to explain why he thinks BA is justified in making this additional charge to passengers who have paid many thousands of pounds for their seat particularly given that it is clear from this thread and other previous threads on this topic that this policy is costing BA passengers?

Come on SM, it would be most interesting to hear your views as to why this policy was implemented and why you think it is OK, apart from the fact that it does not affect you.

SM would you be happy to pay the charge if you were not in one of the categories that does not need to pay? Another interesting question.

SM omitted to mention that it is also free to Bronze Card holders within 7 days of departure leaving still less choice for those who are not prepared top pay or who do not enjoy any status with BA.

Jetcruiser
    Participant

Such a horrible backwards policy! Four of us flew to South Africa in CW and paid over $20,000USD using the American Express Platinum 2-4-1 program (US program). BA wanted nearly $800USD additional for us to assign our seats together – how insulting to a premium passenger. It must be another one of the wonderful Willie WONKA ideas!

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Where did I say I thought it was OK?

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

SM – sincere apologies for suggesting you said that it was OK, you did not say that.

It would be nice to hear however what your view is on the policy and of course you did not answer my question about whether or not you would be prepared to pay or happy to pay if you were not in one of the groups that do not need to pay?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Just paid £60 for myself and my family in seat reservation charges LGW – RAK return.

I didn’t feel it was too much to pay, given that the three Economy returns were costing well over £1,000 anyway. I wasn’t prepared to take the chance that they would automatically assign us 3 seats together, especially as my son is now 13. Well worth a few quid to “guarantee” decent seats together.

It’ll be my first BA flight for 12 months, and from LGW as well…. It will be an interesting experience, judging from the various comments posted on this Forum over the last few months…..

Regards,

Simon

WillieWelsh
    Participant

The policy is a disgrace and out of keeping with the better airlines. Maybe Walsh learned his tricks from O’Leary.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

I’m not Elite with BA anymore and what really winds me up is buying a Business seat which I have for a December Long Haul and then having to pay a fortune in order to pick my fave seat early….disgusting.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FRANCESCABARNES – 22/08/2013 11:08 GMT

But surely when you have paid for your Club class booking, you have the ability to choose your seat at the time of booking through MMB…?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls