BA’s new short haul Club Europe product

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

Just added the new F offering to my last post.

Derek isn’t this what SPIN is all about ?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Travellator, I commented on the Pulled Pork as well, on the home page. Really, what`s next, Mac and Cheese as that has had a revival of late too?

Senator
    Participant

I have perhaps a bit prematurely defended the move by BA as a simple market realignment in which most corporates have dropped business class on short-haul, leaving (basically) premium passengers connecting on long-haul in Club Europe and business class as the only passengers. I have also firmly believed that if we had a true market for a 2-2 US Domestic First style seat, someone would have invested in it. Given that I suspect that an average flight within the UK or Europe is less than 90 min (I think the US is 150 min) no one will pay. The latter assumption stands.

I did however, sample the new BA CE on a recent trip from LHR to ARN in row 5. I am 192cm and 105kg, had the row to myself. To sum it up: unpleasant. To make it worse; slightly more unpleasant compared to Swiss and Lufthansa. So perhaps a few more inches in the first 5-7 rows would have been appropriate.

1nfrequent
    Participant

I got a taster of the new CE configuration on a flight DUB as they’d put in the new 30″ pitch. If you’re going to be on one of those planes, go for the front row as you do get a bit more room. The people in the rows behind me couldn’t work on their laptops because the space was so cramped.

1F

Andrew66
    Participant

I agree with many of the posts , and I suppose CE means different things to everyone , I have booked flights to ACE next year and I’m also taking my sister and partner , have plumped for CE at a price of 299 return ( economy was 250 ) I admit that CE is not outstanding but is pleasant enough for a 2 to 4 hour flight , another factor is that EZY currently have no prices up , plus Thomson costs 289 and then another 48 to take luggage , so the BA price represents good value in my opinion , with lounge access , a bit more space onboard versus economy and very reasonable food and drink service , also with the x4 tier points it goes a fair way to retaining silver status for me . Admittedly I’m not having to work whilst flying and its more exciting rather than mundane travelling less frequently for leisure only .

IanFromHKG
    Participant

1nfrequent – looking at the picture BA site noted above, there definitely seemed to be a lot more kneeroom and “faceroom” in the front row – but perhaps less footroom (being tall I like to stretch my legs out under the seat in front) – what was your impression seeing it in the metal?

peter19
    Participant

Can anybody provide information on which routes (&aircraft) are getting the change and when. I know the original was a 12 month roll-out but wondering if I can obtain this information from anywhere?

many thanks.

Shamsh1
    Participant

It’s a shame, BA doesn’t listen to their customers again and again. The recent change in CE is a significant downgrade for everyone having to work during flight. If the person in front reclines the seat, you cannot fully open your laptop any more. Power sockets or USB connectors are missing anyway. Has Mr. Walsh ever travelled any of his newly configured planes? I guess not, or he simply doesn’t care about his premium passengers.
    Taking in average a 2,5x higher price for CE compared to ET, one could expect something more than a blocked middle seat, which is of no use for storing papers, as being covered by a useless tablet now. So when BA configured the new CE they obviously had short and fat people in mind. Are these the typical future European business travellers?

BigDog.
    Participant

Whilst BA and fellow European legacy carriers are moving their Domestic/Short Haul product down market, JAL has a diametrically opposite strategic direction for its domestic First and Business Class……

http://thedesignair.net/2014/08/20/jal-sky-next-showcases-how-domestic-travel-should-be-for-the-rest-of-us/

1nfrequent
    Participant

Ian – I’m only 5’4″ so the legroom in the front was great for me at the front and I could stretch out enough but I’d not have been happy on the other rows. People looked exactly as cramped as if they were in ET.

1F

canucklad
    Participant

I’ll repeat my initial assertion that IMO, the new CE is the first phase of BA’s transition from a proper legacy short haul business offering to ultimately a LCC Vueling Hybrid operation.

Let’s imagine ourselves at Waterside, or more likely in an office in Madrid. Working out a 5 year plan that delivers maximum profit to shareholders, and then let’s look at BA’s recent track record of being a market leader rather than a market follower….

We can’t —BA is the most risk adverse company in one of the most competitive industries and market places there is. Business philosophy dictates that if you stand still, you’ll be left behind.
    BA/ IAG is rapidly becoming schizophrenic in how they believe they can retain, sustain and grow their passenger business. Are we a Cathay or are we Easy….

So now put yourself into their decision making heads and brainstorm ideas and strategies.
    And weigh up the evidence……

Introduction of Mixed Fleet CC
    Cramming more seats into their Airbus fleet
    Introduction of ancillary revenues , including “Just better than our normal fare food”
    And HBO fares.
    Reduction of catering on flights
    New seats that look like, ehhmmm EasyJet seats.
    Cancelling of short haul flights at a drop of a hat
    And I’m sure we could continually add to the list…..

I’ve no doubt BA’s management team still believe in their fine motto “To fly, to Serve “ and with that in mind, those of us who are loyal to BA still have expectations that match the motto.

So, what to do….. Well, think of an addict’s relationship with their dealer. Now consider how a GREEDY dealer increases is profit margin, but holds onto his loyal clientele. Their customers will need their fix, so the dealer can’t just turn off the tap to the high quality gear that the addict is hooked on… A far better option is to start diluting the gear, blending in a lesser , cheaper ingredients until eventually the junkie is hooked but the product seems the same.

So Travellator, you’re spot on….BA , sorry IAG know exactly what they’re going to do. I’ve no doubt that in 10 years’ time when you book BA 245 LHR –EZE your itinerary will be Vueling to Madrid then Iberia to Buenos Aires !!

Sad really, as LH and others go downmarket BA had an open goal placed in front of them to become Europes finest business airline, but they’ve balooned the opportunity over the bar…. Shame on a risk averse mangement team. .

esselle
    Participant

canucklad

I agree with your thinking on this one. If you read my separate post from yesterday ” Xmas panto vs Le Gavroche” you will see how this strategic thinking is finding its was gently into their longhaul premium offer.

MrMichael
    Participant

I agree with Esselle/Canucklad. Also to be factored in is the not inconsiderable effect of the Middle Eastern bully boys (Emirates/Etihad/Qatar). Although you may think on short haul they will have no effect on BA, they do, because they are also sweeping up feeders via LHR on to BA by operating from not only primary airports but also now an increasing number of regional airports (in the UK and Europe). I would suggest BA’s downgrading of the short haul/regional business product is having the opposite effect to that they expect. They mnight cram more people in, but less people will travel on them. So they have the Loco’s nicking the short haul, and now also the boys from the desert.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m not sure if you can through check in from the regions now, but in the past you couldn’t. So what’s it to be. Pick up your bags at LHR, check in again (or not) but in any case transit through LHR with all its oft problems, having travelled down in a cramped aircraft, Economy only.

Or, check right through to your final destination and travel out on a shiny new 777/380 in a comfortable business class seat. Instead of changing at LHR, change at DOH, DBX etc etc. No contest really.

PegasusAir
    Participant

I am not sure BA really understand the effect these regional and european routes have on their long haul network or if they do they have deliberately chosen to ignore it.. Two of the routes I use regularly go out of LGW. BA terminated their MAN – LGW service. I have since tried the LHR – LGW transfer twice to be fair but one has to build in such a margin to cover the unreliability of the M25 that it becomes stressful and/or a long connecting time never mind having to collect and take your baggage to a taxi or coach . My next trip is on EK MAN – DXB – MRU. How much revenue did they allocate to the MAN – LGW out of my £2500+ fares – probably just a domestic element but their total loss is the contribution my fare makes to the long haul flight. If one lives north of Birmingham we have quite a choice of hubs to use excluding the direct flights so BA do not have the competitive benefit of their non-stop flights. Whilst connecting outbound over LHR from MAN is very easy with through bag checkin and no security check in LHR the return is another issue as far as HAL and security is concerned!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls