BA’s lifejacket double-bow requirement

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

Every time I sit through a BA safety demo I wonder how many people on the plane know how to tie a double-bow, or even what it is. Why hasn’t BA updated its lifejackets to the much easier – and therefore safer – clip connection for the straps? Is it simply that the airline is too mean to re-equip all its planes?

1 user thanked author for this post.

cybertravller
    Participant

This is an excellent question. I worked for both BA and EasyJet, and I found the lifejackets on EZY to be far more “user-friendly” in an emergency.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Gradually BA are moving over to these newer ‘clip buckle’ types. On the newer aircraft they already have them but it isn’t particularly environmentally friendly to just discard perfectly fine life jackets just for a preference of fastening.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

One would not have to discard the life vests, just re-work them to add clips – the tapes seem long enough to do that.

And, needless to say, flying jet aircraft is not particularly environmentally friendly, either. Even new shiny ones.

Flyboy18
    Participant

an unnecessary cost for something that, fingers crossed, will never get used. And FDOS….I’d imagine it’s probably not that simple…with life jackets having to go through many safety checks before being signed off ! unless you’ve suddenly become a life jacket expect?

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1346068]

Fingers crossed, with the very greatest of respect, has no place in operational thinking in the airline industry. Fingers crossed to save money is appalling logic.

3 users thanked author for this post.

DannyBoy
    Participant

How many people seriously observe and take in the safety announcement? Now I am sure everyone on this forum does regardless of the number of times they have flown but I find just scanning around those around me are more engrossed in other activities but it. If you recall the Hudson River crash back in 2009, interestingly very few people can be seen actually wearing the vest in all of the pictures taken.

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

flyboy has to be BA crew I guess, only they get defensive about such an inferior product, when has BA every put the customer before saving a buck!! I am proud to never sell BA unless its absolutely necessary, nothing more satisfying than seeing thousands of £ going to a competitor of the once mighty airways for me ABBA applies everytime, and its very easy to switch sell if I come across a colleague that has given any bookings to BA

cybertravller
    Participant

I was ex BA crew, and compared to other airlines, the life jackets showed their age when I was flying. Very few passengers would pay attention to the safety demo, and let us be honest when all hell is breaking loose, the last thing a person would think of is how to tie a double bow. I always found BA were great at PR gimmicks but very late to the party regarding logical upgrades.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Has anyone seen the South West video, albeit some years old, re the safety demo?. Not everyones cup of tea but there ia a large number of people paying attention. I agree few pay attention that is way I get a seat near to an emergency exit with clear access

DanielRawson
    Participant

‘Is it simply that the airline is too mean to re-equip all its planes’ – surely if there was an issue the CAA or FAA would raise it? Businesses are entitled to try and maximise profit. It’s what makes the world go round. You could of course take your own life jacket or vote with your feet and choose an airline which provides life jackets with clips!!

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

Daniel, that rather misses the point. Yes, a company is entitled to maximise profit while also meeting its duty of care to its customers.
    Sure I could vote with my feet, but LHR is my closest airport and – I can’t think why – but BA serves more destinations than any other airline from that airport.

AdamMarley
    Participant

Nothing like a travel professional with an axe to grind…

Always work perfectly.

LondonAndy70
    Participant

[postquote quote=1346780]

Of course it meets its duty of care – if it decided not to carry life jackets I could understand your comment, but if you can’t tie a double bow and believe to do so means that the airline doesn’t care then……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls