BA’s A380 Takes Centre Stage at Paris Air Show

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• craigwatson
    Participant

I would have thought it unlikely, but to be fair there may be ways around it. They may have got an exemption for their regulator, plus the pilot in question most likely had already done a conversion course, so technically he was already fully qualified on type.

There would be many factors in play, such as union agreement, insurance, and they would have needed to reach an agreement with all of them.

Sorry I wasn’t much help.

Xuluman
    Participant

Yes BA are using Qantas for line training their A380 pilots. I assume they would sit on the jump seat initially for a couple of sectors before operating – all on revenue flights.

It is unusual, however BA wanted current Airbus trainers to start initially, which at BA means A320 drivers. By giving them a head start they can start training in-house much sooner.

Daytripper
    Participant

I’ve got no issue with the time it’s taken BA to put A380s into service. The A380 engine problems a couple of years back vindicated that decision.

However, why is there no inflight wi-fi, when the vast majority of major carriers are embracing it with a vengeance?

I’d love to hear a valid non-partisan reason why not. Anyone who’s used it (I have, multiple times on different airlines) will be aware that it works perfectly, with decent connection speed.

Emirates have it on all their A380s. Why not on BA?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the article is in the in this months High Life page 111 – quote from Rob De Martino after being asked:

“Have you flown the A380 yes?”

answer

…..”We are all qualified on the A380 but had never flown the aircraft, so we spent sometime over Christmas, flying the plane between London and Australia with a training captain along side us”……….

I was curious if passengers were on board. I have never heard of one company training another companies pilots, qualified or otherwise, with revenue passengers, (if there were revenue passengers on board).

Xuluman
    Participant

I answered this Martyn.

You think they would fly an empty A380 from London to Aussie for training purposes?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Xuluman – never thought they would fly empty.

I am very interested to learn the logistics of how this was authorised. Consultations / agreement would have had to been made with:

**both countries aircrew licensing as I cant imagine the BA pilots would be issued with Aussie licenses

**the hull insurers to allow non airline employees front seat access to the 380

It couldn’t have been so straight forward…………. or perhaps it was…

Far from being critical, I think it shows an interesting solution to flight training, when an airline, or a company buys new equipment and need pilots to have hands on experience.

I know there are zero flight time conversions within the Airbus family, but I am sure pilots will always feel more confident after flying the real
    thing.

Excellent cooperation between 2 former alliance partners.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Xuluman & Craigwatson:

Thanks for joining up the dotted lines for those of us not in the know.

Xuluman
    Participant

It was done through the CAA. I happened to be in Aviation House listening to a guy trying to get it sorted on his license, who was apparently the ninth to convert.

It is a nice gesture of cooperation, but I’m sure money or favours were exchanged! They are only doing it for the fleet trainers; the normal line pilots won’t be off to Aus.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 20/06/2013 12:00 GMT : If the B747 and A380 are hideous, what is it that isn’t in your book?

Most other planes look fine to me. I can understand why people like the profile of the B747, but I don’t – to my eye it looks awkward, and the proportions are all wrong. But that’s just my opinion! I would challenge anyone, though, who thinks the A380 (livery issues aside) is a looker. I am sure there are good reasons for the nose being the shape it is (and, of course, there is a very good reason why the 747 looks the way it does – it’s because it was designed as a freighter!), but really, the A380 does look ghastly and I am amazed Airbus didn’t make some effort ot make it look better.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Ian – perhaps the more hideous an aircraft looks the more publicity it gets!!

@Xuluman/Craig – thanks for the info..

Inthesandpit
    Participant

And the big bird is airborne for LHR from TLS as BAW380
    Passing 18000′ north of Toulouse

travelleryogi
    Participant

I strongly feel that British Airways took a cautious approach while inducting new aircraft models. Now that majority of the teething issues have been sorted out with A380, now BA can fly with minimal disruption.

Some Airlines jump the gun…. and is evident in their expansion and fleet acquisition. The middle eastern carriers especially Emirates are known for this.

I also feel that it would be very wrong to compare two different companies with two different operating circumstances

IanFromHKG
    Participant

travelleryogi, you seem to be missing the point that this forum is for business travellers – the users of the airlines’ product. It is perfectly legitimate for us to compare different companies with different operating circumstances to the extent that those comparisons are relevant to our choice of carrier. The point you make – which seems to be that some carriers jump the gun and screw up along the way, and BA has not – is valid. However, it is equally valid to say that this lack of innovation may harm BA in the long run since their competitors – who may well be different companies with different operating circumstances, although again that isn’t necessarily relevant to travellers’ choices – already have or may soon have superior products to offer

ImissConcorde
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls