BA’s 737 fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

NewBAexec
    Participant

The B737 fleet of British Airways are in a bad state, the carpet is dirty, the seats are very old and falling apart. Lavatories are in a disgusting state. And they are having technical problems.

I think it is about time for BA to renew the shorthaul fleet at LGW. These 737’s need to go very soon!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I fly on these birds regularly.

They are certainly workhorses, but the concerns described above are the exception, not the rule.

I personally haven’t had a technical problem on any of my commutes, and that numbers tens of flights already this year.

The 19 737-400s based at Gatwick were built between 1991-1996 and have (mostly) been maintained by BA fo their whole lives; this means there is a considerable number of years of serviceability left in these birds.

I find the seats comfortable, any new seats would likely not be convertible, or as comfy, so be careful what you wish for!

This fleet was on the radar for replacement, and the oldest 737s were indeed retired, but in my personal view they will not have any significant interior refurbishment until they are replaced as part of a larger shorthaul fleet order in concert with Iberia, and very much dependent on the success of the newly revitalised BA Gatwick operation.

NTarrant
    Participant

I quite agree, again as a regular traveller on the 737’s out of LGW, yes they are tired, but not to the degree as stated. Seats are still very comfortable. Can’t comment on toilets though as rarely use them

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I think the point is that some cosmetic TLC would improve matters considerably.

The basic frames have years of life left, but they have the same feel as a house that has been rented out for a few years, rather than lived in by an owner.

The 767 short haul fleet suffers from the same affliction, to a greater/lesser degree, depending which one you get.

I travelled twice on 777 IA from LGW at Xmas, a 15 year old aircraft, so not too far away from the 737s.

She was in tip top cosmetic condition.

openfly
    Participant

I agree that the condition of the cabin on the BA 737 fleet was in a bad way.

But, Gatwick are now well advanced with the partial seat refurbishment. There is a new cabin configuration being fitted whereby the first 5 rows are now fixed with 2 seats on the left side (the old flexible Club config). This is to save man hours in changing the config twixt domestic/ Club Europe flights. The rest of the seats back to the emergency exit are still the old flexi-seat so that higher Club loads can be accepted when necessary. This also means that Golds and Silvers will get a guaranteed comfy seat at the front when they book a domestic sector. Good thinking eh!?

The seats aft of the emergency exits are all new, slim and very comfortable. The only problem is that they are putting in an extra row which reduces seat pitch and is quite noticeable in the rows behind the emergency exits. This is to counteract the loss of the seats in the front rows.

It is good to see BA at LGW making an effort, at last. Maybe they are listening to BT!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls