BA’s ‘24 hour cooling off’ period

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

The tough trading conditions created by the pandemic shouldn’t allow airlines to trade in ‘sharp practice’.

I purchased two BA tickets on BA.com worth £ 750. BA’s previous policy of a full refund, if cancelled within 24 hours of booking, seems to have been changed to ‘vouchers issued in lieu’.

Cancelling online was impossible, only vouchers were available. I made every effort to contact BA by twitter and by phone. After 40 minutes on the phone, a BA telephone salesperson said ‘I won’t be the first to complain about this policy, nor will I be the last’. Fortunately my call was answered with minutes to spare before the 24 hours elapsed, and I got a full refund.

I’d appreciate knowing what other contributors have experienced.

ASK1945
    Participant

Bullfrog

Perhaps not strictly to the point you are making – about which I agree your frustration – I usually book using the £10 deposit facility, before committing finally to the flights a day or so later.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thank you for pointing that out .. I don’t recall seeing that on BA’s website.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1113719]I don’t recall seeing that on BA’s website.[/quote]

It comes at the payment stage.

Charley Whiskey
    Participant

I had just the same problem – perhaps worse in that the UK BA line wasn’t accepting ANY calls. Thus I had to go through the US contact number and the 24 hours deadline had passed by a few minutes after a 46 minute hold by the time the agent answered. Luckily she said she could see how long I had been on hold and allowed the free cancellation.
    Furthermore, the lack of the refund option on the website, and the removal of the online “change” option for an Avios booking, are all clearly designed to increase or protect revenue rather that assist the customer, despite the fact that the agents can’t cope with demand. So not all of the Alex Cruz sharp-practice legacy has yet been eliminated.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GordyUK
    Participant

It’s also not available on all flights or tickets. 4 different combinations I tried last week did not produce this offer. I actually thought they had withdrawn it but and agent told me It was selective

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I find it really hard to comprehend why BA make things so difficult for customers, and put an even greater burden on their staff working on the telephones.

BA’s clearly written conditions when making the booking was ‘24 hours to get a full refund’. So to then have the option of vouchers if cancelling online within 24 hours or to have to telephone an already over worked switchboard makes no sense.

Any idiot running an organisation would know how much bad will is created by the above. Well almost any idiot.

Clearly not those at British Airways.

2 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1114437]

Bullfrog, at the top of BA I really doubt goodwill even crosses their mind, let alone the impact on front line staff, because if they did it would not be a problem in the first place. THis has been evidenced by so many issues, published on these threads, over the past few years

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls