Bare Feet on Board

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

On a warm day, wearing open sandals without socks I would tend to slip them off to rest my (not so young feet). However, I would not have them on display for all to see…they’re not my best feature!

That said, if I was going to leave the seat for any reason I would use the flight socks or put the sandals on.

Pat

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Don’t have a problem with seeing bare feet. Living in the southern Med, sandals are a fact of life for several months every year and sometimes people kick them off, when sitting, to let their feet breathe in 35c and high humidity. It mitigates athlete’s foot.

Depends on what you’re used to, I suppose.

Agree with the posters on the (lack of) sense of walking around aircraft barefooted.

RichHI1
    Participant

Ditto. I am amazed when I see people going to Lavatory on plane wearing only in flight socks or those soft give away slippers. Due to the deplorable hygiene practiced by some passengers I always wear something with a proper sole when using the facilities on a plane.

Communipaw
    Participant

In addition to footware ( or lack thereof) when flying, I am amazed at how some people actually are dressed when they travel. I saw one young lady on a domestic flight in the US, who looked as though she literally rolled out of bed to catch her flight.

Makes me wonder if people really take the time to dress reasonably appropriately when traveling. I’m not suggesting jacket and tie, but certainly not pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I remember once when BA did not want to let me board F flying JNB – NBO as I was wearing shorts. They thought my knees would disturb the other F pax! By the way, Mrs. LP says my knees are my best feature!!!

I also remember when flying F a jacket and tie was almost obligatory, but I think we have moved on a long way since then, and while I sympathise Comunipaw, the reality today is people dress for comfort and how they want, and considering how in Economy they are usually treated like cattle, I guess they are dressing appropriately.

Chicken and egg perhaps?

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s still a disgusting habit; feet should remain covered when resting. Especially in the (relatively) close confines of an aircraft.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Vintage Krug

In the new spirit of civility on the forum for the past few days, let me say that you are perfectly entitled to hold and express your own opinion.

Senator
    Participant

Communipaw, about 18 months back I flew on US Airways from Boston to San Juan, PR in First on the direct flight. The US Airways crew looked as though they literally rolled out of bed to work the flight. Stained uniforms, shirts had probably never seen an iron…

I tend to always travel with trousers, shirt and a jacket and for long-haul I change once airborne. I will take off my shoes for long haul flights.

Delsurrey
    Participant

Communipaw, why not pajama bottoms and a sweatshirt, that’s exactly what I am wearing up the front of the aircraft, albeit with a nice First logo compliments of BA?

RichHI1
    Participant

VK, “It’s still a disgusting habit; feet should remain covered when resting. Especially in the (relatively) close confines of an aircraft.”
    I respectfully disagree with your view here. To me it is about what is appropriate and I see slovenliness and casualness as separate issues.

As to disgusting habits in close confines, does anyone else agree that persistent flatulence should join smoking as a banned activity on aircraft where lavatories are provided? With or without asparagus (see appropriate forum) the wilfull expulsion of noxious gasses needs to be stamped out now (whether you are wearing shoes or not!)

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Rich

I agree – persistent flatulence could lead to a serious fire and offenders should be plasticuffed and ‘bunged’ to prevent incidents 😉

VintageKrug
    Participant

No idea what you are talking about; asparagus has never caused me to become flatulent.

lloydah
    Participant

But I grow some jerusalem artichokes in the garden. It’s always been a family joke with the boys as they grew up, jet propelled veg.

JordanD
    Participant

Each to their own VK. When I travel on wearing hiking boots, it is extremely uncomfortable to wear them for the duration of the flights; so once cruise altitude is maintained, off they come and on go ‘flip flops’. If this offends you, then do let me know should we travel together.

Communipaw
    Participant

Delsurrey, that’s fine if your getting ready to retire whilst flying First Class. Walking on-board the aircraft looking like that, I personally feel is not appropriate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls