BA…no hot food on 777s

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

openfly
    Participant

BA has announced, internally, that all Boeing 777 flights for today and tomorrow will not offer hot meals in ANY class…even F. This is to do with carry over from the strike and also the crews that are flying the 777. Not good on a very long-haul service.

Legroomneeded
    Participant

I suppose the next step is thinking they can do without Cabin Crew, or Pilots , perhaps lavatories !

Travellator
    Participant

Just 777’s ?

openfly
    Participant

Travellator…yes, only 777s. Something to do with still having ”non permanent’ crew still operating, after the strike. The passengers will be even more fed up when they smell the waft of the hot crew meals cooking!!!

Travellator
    Participant

I think the 747’s that have been operating have been with BA crew and no temps.

Didnt like the prospect of 13 hours in F with no hot food or brekkie !

VintageKrug
    Participant

1. My understanding is that this will not affect any services flying from London Gatwick, or the A318 London City to New York services all of which remain unaffected.

2. This is for a two day period during which additional (hot) food will be available pre-flight in the First, Galleries and Terraces lounges to eligible customers.

3. Additional cold items will be available from the Club Kitchen in flight.

4. The cold food offered will be similar to that offered on long Club Europe sectors, ie Poached Salmon with cous cous, roast chicken salad, both of which are perfectly acceptable.

5. Arrivals Lounge remains open and fully functional for hot breakfasts at LHR T5.

I think the title of this thread is rather misleading, as this is only a temporary measure as things settle back to normal after a strike in which an impressive 80% of customers booked to travel did so.

If I have to eat cold food to support the hard working cabin crew who want to keep BA’s flag flying, then it’s the least I can do.

You will VERY shortly see some rather pleasant incentives to get people back flying Club and First on British Airways, so don’t go booking anything leisure related for the next day or so.

markymark
    Participant

Yes it is on 777 only as they are covered by wannabes crew.

VK, just as a matter of interest, looking at all your posts, how long have you been on BA’s payroll?

Potakas
    Participant

We cannot spend our money, value of flight and time in order to help BA. BA should make many improvements, as the other rival airlines can offer us better products, BA is still behind with ATI and oneworld partners. We want BA to keep flying but we have to see an improvement, There is not excuse for not offering hot meals two days after the strike.

SimonS1
    Participant

Thanks to VintageKrug for the party political broadcast but on a cold day I don’t regard a chicken salad as “perfectly acceptable” in Business Class particularly when the strike ended yesterday.

Good luck with the incentives but like many others we are switching our custom elsewhere for business and leisure.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

In relation to VK’s post:

– Hot food maybe available from the UK departure lounges however it is not from the vast majority of their other non UK lounges

– On my recent 777 experience, no food was available in the club kitchen (and having spoken to a couple of people today I understand this is still the case)

– The slop served to me on my recent 777 flight was NOT comparable to that of club Europe- far from it and I was in F

– The Arrivals lounge closes at 2pm and only of use if you’re flying back into the UK – when is the exact time you need it due to no food on the plane or in the lounge from the country you’ve departed from

Unfortunately, I won’t back BA by eating cold food as I can not condone either sides actions – especially when I’ve paid several thousand pounds for the privilege.

I should also add that 4 days after the last strike, they were still serving cold food on the 777’s – irrespective of whatever their spin is now, the reality I am sure, will be far from that.

Potakas
    Participant

That’s true, someone can support BA for it’s reputation and special service but ok… +4000 pounds each way ticket for eating cold food is very bad.

openfly
    Participant

VintageKrug………I, like others on this forum, am intrigued as to your connection with BA. You seem to have an amazing inside knowledge of BA, and its operation. Please come clean, and tell us your secret! VK=WW! :-))

VintageKrug
    Participant

All BA’s longhaul international flights (aside from the LCY service, which remains unaffected) depart from either LGW or LHR, where additional food is indeed available in the departure lounges. All eight of them.

While I would expect hot food to return swiftly, the realities are that the “skeleton” operation which ran during the strike was designed to minimise delays and complexity in order to ensure as many people as possible got to their destination. 80% of those booked to travel with BA during the strike did so. This is no mean feat.

The compromise appears to have been that a simplified food offering was available, to ensure that temporary crews could operate the service (hot food has more Health & Safety requirements attached).

It takes a couple of days for aircraft to return to normal running, and for crew to return from outstations etc and this explains the elapsed time until normal catering resumes. I am personally not fussed by a lack of hot food; for others this may be a more critical issue.

My understanding is that Gatwick services remain unaffected, and that LHR services should be back to normal tomorrow.

Whilst of course you should always seek out best value for your own personal travel needs, I would suggest you might consider putting some of your travel spend BA’s way in support of the hard working crews who stood up to Unite and kept (most) of the airline flying.

I am in no way connected with the travel industry or, specifically, British Airways.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

VK – at least let us know whether the ‘come back to BA incentives’ are your thoughts or known facts………………?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls