Bangkok meetup for Forum members – December 2017

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

donkeyasia : Thanks for that advice. I wasn’t aware of that. I took the train from BKK to Hua Hin and back a few years ago and apart from the fact that I could only book third class as first was full, it was fine. I found a seat in first and went and sat there, the ticket wallah came round and I of course offered to pay the difference, and I thought he’d just say : ‘x’ baht and slip it into his pocket, but he worked it all out, took the payment, gave me a proper receipt. I suppose the corruption in Thailand is all at high level, the ‘little people’ are honest.

donkeyasia
    Participant

Capetonianm – your point about graft, is correct, although in the public services it starts at the bottom.
    On the train, I suspect that the one you rode ten years ago is the same loco and carriages as operating now. How much permanent damage this years flooding has done to the train line between Hua Hin and Bangkok, I can check< but this has been the worst year in the last five. Safe travels to all.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@donkeyasia – nice to hear from you, yes please.. help will be needed. As there so many venue choices in BKK I was going to leave the venue location until we know the approx. numbers. The evening is made by both the attendees & the location… I would also like to ensure that no one is made uncomfortable by the venue choice (i.e. the cost)…

I may give this thread the occasional bump as we get closer to December, but in the meantime, could those who wish to attend let me have their preferred dates, venue thoughts and importantly email addresses.

As this is an open Forum, please do not post any personal information – I have created an email address for this event, which will be deleted after the event.

[email protected]

Please do continue to post on the thread if you are interest in the BKK meet up or any generic questions about the event..

KSHaggag
    Participant

I salute this exciting initiative !

Just hope seats will be available on flights during that peak period as flights to the most popular leisure destination will be at a premium !!! fingers crossed .

Thanks for this brilliant initiative !
    Places to stay in Bangkok ? Shangrila ? Hilton Millenium ? Plaza Athenee ? any great sugge
    stions ?

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

The Milennium Hilton has long since been my favourite in BKK.
    Superb view from the roof bar.

thebigseats
    Participant

I agree regrading Mil Hilton. Very nice location on the river & decent choice of local & upmarket restos. V. Nice bar too.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

What a good idea…Could start with a few beers in the Mucky Duck…aka Black Swan in Suk.Soi seep gow..( 19 )…happy hour till 9-00 PM and move on to the Coffee Shop ( Chorp) at the world famous Honey Hotel which could easily accomodate up to about 100 honoured patrons.The nice old boy who owned it died so the family have now put the Iconic building up for sale but seems its got a reprieve till the end of the year…or an era…Ex Vietnam R & R stop over…I have been using it since 1985 ..although now retired in Chieng Mai..and it wont break the Bank…Be a part of History…gao..Fed up going to UK embassy “dos”…again also will soon be history…

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

As my winter home is now in BKK and as long time subscriber and reader to BT (from about two years after it was launched in the days of IATA rules), I would enjoy joining in – I have regularly noticed the amount of BKK contributors – so I guess we have a reasonable number. I arrive December 2nd this year.
    Venue should enable us to move mix easily someet most contributors
    Food – I eat them all
    Budget – sensible, I am not one for fancy stuff.
    Dates – Anytime after December 4th excluding Xmas and New Year
    Location. Indigo?? – The excellent and reasonably priced French Restaurant just off Silom at Sala Daeng so easy for the BTS Skytrain.

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

PS – Alex McWhirter is a REAL hero to me – has saved me thousands, perhaps tens of thousands over the years….can anyone have Alex attend – I think we would all buy him many drinks!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@TerryMcManus24 – I’m afraid the Black Swan is no good as I have been barred for wearing the blue and white of Sheffield Wednesday, instead of the red and white of … the other Sheffield team…

Pickled Liver soi 7 would be far more appropriate, being a blue and white pub….

I am sure wherever we go, we will have a wonderful evening……

donkeyasia
    Participant

‘Ardmarnoch’,Indigo is in Soi Convent opposite Molly Malone’s. Indigo has a private room that can seat up to 30 guests. I endorse an invitation to AW. there must be a way we can get him there. I will liaise with MS at [email protected], from hereon in.

Nogbad01
    Participant

Is this forum members only or +1?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

+1 is not a problem..

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hello MartynSinclair ,

If I may just ask you when approx should we expect an agreement by all attendees on the final date for the BKK meetup as I have been checking flight availability over the last few days and let me admit that seat availability looks rather scary as that is a peak period as we know .
    Many thanks and see you there !
    Best regards
    Karim

peter19
    Participant

I didn’t realize there was such a big BKK connection to so many forum members. It’s quite impressive. Enjoy to all those who can make it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls