#BA100 and #BAMagic

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

At Heathrow yesterday, I saw both the BEA-liveried A319 and the 747 kitted out as BOAC. Both looked fabulous, to me anyway as someone with a sense of nostalgia!! I was hoping that I would fly on the BOAC aircraft – it was remote parked and we were bussed to our 747 but no such luck. A great way to celebrate whatever birthday it is – it actually does not matter whether it is actually 100 or not, does it? After all, Dublin cerebrated its 1000th birthday in 1988 not because there was any evidence that this was really the case but because a struggling tourism economy needed a boost at the time!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

Anyone know what Project Robin at BA is about?

Johnnyg
    Participant

My info re Project Robin is that this encompasses it

https://www.gavmanandrobin.com/british-airways

mkcol74
    Participant

Hmmm – I’d found that when I Googled it too. What made me ask was I’m sure someone mentioned it recently as though it was something current.
    I shall keep my eyes & ears peeled.

Johnnyg
    Participant

MKcol74

I got my info off a colleague at BA in Manchester, although it might be the same original source

Ekond222
    Participant

…A nice gesture from BA Exec Club…just recieved a ‘100’ tie pin and a personalized thank you card…

cwoodward
    Participant

I suspect that it perfectly delivered on the brief. Reinforcing ‘Britishness’ and what the British would like BA to be.
    A commercial for the masses that will probably work well for them.

capetonianm
    Participant

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/ba-turns-100-gallery-vintage-images-a4218841.html

Some lovely photos and memories of the 100 years that BA claim to have existed. Regardless of the inaccuracy of that, there is a lot of superb nostalgia in this collection.

It is a shame that what was once the pride of a nation, if not an Empire, has now become a cheap and nasty shadow of what it once was.

Cruz, get cruising.

Stowage222
    Participant

Given that my first flight was in March 1956 these photos brought back a whole lifetime of memories. Many thanks for sharing capetonianm.

SimonS1
    Participant

Really fascinating pictures, thanks for posting capetonianm.

I guess we need to use a bit of journalistic license on the timeline of British Airways.

Basically 4 airlines together created Imperial Airways in 1924, and 3 airlines together created the original British Airways Ltd in 1935.

These merged to create BOAC in 1939, which eventually merged with BEA to create the second British Airways in 1974.

Which was then privatised and hoovered up a few other airlines and eventually was merged with Iberia to create IAG in 2010.

What next? Further liberalisations mean that IAG is merged with Qatar in 20XX? And Alejandro rebrands himself again from Alex to Abdullah? Or will they look towards American and he will just become good ol’ Al.

mkcol74
    Participant

If you can take the humour then this Alex Cruz parody account is worth a follow.

capetonianm
    Participant

Excellent. The problem is it’s no laughing matter.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

My flight to ORD a week ago was on the BOAC liveried 747. I was also carrying my 1960s-era BOAC flight bag, to the amusement of th cabin crew.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls