#BA100 and #BAMagic

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It will be a full year of celebration for British Airways in 2019 for its centenary.

Looks like #BAMagic is one of the hashtags…

And the first of the videos is available on YouTube

openfly
    Participant

#bamagic….we will get you there on time! Or, our crews will treat you like a First Class passenger in First! Or, we will answer our phones in less than 20 minutes! Or, we will increase the legroom in Club Europe to 35inches, like the old days! That’s real magic….😀

2 users thanked author for this post.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Or, we are going to have another totally pointless strike in 2019 because the unions have decided to gang up and demand a pay increase AND profit share. Happy Birthday.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

And #BA100 is the other – teaser videos already released for today’s announcement.

https://www.britishairways.com/100

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Do you need to combine the two hashtags to conjure up/magic 100 yrs of BA?

Was BA not founded in 1974 by combining BOAC and BEA plus a couple of smaller airlines?

Imperial Airways founded 1924, BOAC 1939, BEA 1946

So please remind me how British Airways can claim that 2019 is their 100th Anniversary.

As far as I know there is only one airline that can genuinely claim 100 years of operation this year, and they are based in Amsterdam

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, we examined that here

Which is the oldest airline?

capetonianm
    Participant

Define ‘oldest airline’.

For me, it would be the blue guys based in Amsterdam, as it’s operated as KLM since it was founded in 1919.

It’s hard to trace a lineage to claim ‘oldest’ when there has been a trail of mergers, takeovers, and name changes.

Ekond222
    Participant

…Maybe a #tag is required by those querying the validity of BAs’ centenary celebrations and promotions…perhaps #BAhumbug..

cwoodward
    Participant

MY understanding is that Qantas – “Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services”, (founded in 1920) is definitely the world’s oldest continually operating airline operating under its original name.
    KLM it seems ceased operations during part of the WW2 and it could be argued that it also changed its name when it merged with AF

mkcol74
    Participant

I wonder if it’s their new uniform being launched tomorrow :-/

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

The new BA ad is now live.

The carrier has described it as “a love letter to Britain” and it features celebrities including Gary Oldman, Olivia Colman, Riz Ahmed, Anthony Joshua, Ellie Simmonds, Nicola Adams, Chris Robshaw, Harriet Millar-Mills, Anthony Watson, Paloma Faith and The Kingdom Choir (with a cameo from David Bowie), Grayson Perry, Jane Goodall, Matilda Ramsay and Helen Sharman, the first Briton in space.

ba.com/100

capetonianm
    Participant

Gary Oldman, Olivia Colman, Riz Ahmed, Anthony Joshua, Ellie Simmonds, Nicola Adams, Chris Robshaw, Harriet Millar-Mills, Anthony Watson, Paloma Faith and The Kingdom Choir (with a cameo from David Bowie), Grayson Perry, Jane Goodall, Matilda Ramsay and Helen Sharman

I’ve heard of the four I have put in bold. What chance does anyone from a non-Anglo culture have of having heard of any of them, except perhaps David Bowie.

Is this another pointless, ill-conceived, inappropriate waste of money that might be better spent on improving service?

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

I’ve just received my 100 celebration email telling me how important I am to BA.

If I’m that important why don’t they reply to my complaints, and why do they not refund my money until I have contacted them 4 times. Why do they take £6700 from my credit card, by mistake, and not even apologise? Why do they promise to call me back…and seldom do? If Group 1 passengers are so important, why do they board 48 passenger preboards, some with teenage kids, before us?

Nah, we aren’t important….we used to be!

canucklad
    Participant

Got the same e-mail openfly…..And imagine my shock

” It’s a hugely exciting time for us, but we wouldn’t be celebrating without you. You have made us who we are today ”

Seems it’s me that’s getting the blame !!!

capetonianm
    Participant

I have received an email from them on my email address, addressed to my wife. We have asked them countless times to update the email address.

Regardless of that, I have watched the film and I’m sorry to say that although it has some merit as a stand-alone, I fail to see its point in the context intended. Perhaps it’s because I’ve only heard of 4 of the 15 people featured. Having looked to see who the other 11 are, with the possible exception of Olivia Colman, they are complete irrelevancies and nonentities.

Paloma Faith apparently is the dumb moron who shouted ‘Hola España’ into a microphone when she was in Gibraltar, not quite the right thing to endear herself to the audience.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls