BA in first or qantas in first

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

mscldrew wrote:
    ‘Limited number of cx planes with First class. They don’t have enough triple sevens to operate the European and USA first class right now”

Of course any airline has a limit to aircraft of any class and it is incorrect to state that CX has any lack of aircraft to properly service its first class routes. For clarification take a look at the CX fleet information freely available on many web sites .
    Cathay runs first to destinations where there is a market.
    With the continual upgrading of J class to a point CX J class is superior to many airlines First there has proved to be little appetite any longer for a F service to/from AU from HKG and it was withdrawn. Nothing whatever to do with any lack of aircraft or bilateral agreements.
    Just market forces.

2 users thanked author for this post.

paulkaz
    Participant

Cwoodward,agreed CX don’t see the market for First as I imagine most seats would be taken by FF upgrades. Seems CX will not compete with QF when it introduces Aus summer A380 Syd Hkg flighs with actual First seats and service.Previously the front seats had normal J service. QF’s next tranche of 787s may allow this flight and Syd Hnd flights to be A380 year round.
    https://www.executivetraveller.com/qantas-brings-back-airbus-a380-first-class-to-hong-kong

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=954685]Henryp1 wrote:

‘I don’t believe that CP has first class on that route and Andy wished to travel in first’.

To clarify: It seems to escaped you that a significant point of my post was that the CX flights in J ex Gatwick on the A350 were superior to BAs First class offering also faster and possibly more convenient and with the added bonus of the Wing and Pier lounges in HK. This apart from being also a very considerably less costly.

I apologise if these points of my post was not clear.[/quote]

Hello, I did read your paragraphs about CX business class, but I was not too sure how cost came into decisions being made. I always find it confusing when someone is quite clear that they wish to travel First and they are given information to travel in business as it’s cheaper. We all have a personal preference of products available, depending on our budgets, but in my experience when family or colleagues wish to travel in a particular class they don’t go in a cheaper cabin. To be fair I’ve never taken a particular route to be able to use an airline lounge, I believe that the lounges in Singapore and Doha are very nice for a short stop and for use of showers etc.

But as ever we all make our decisions on individual budgets, preferences and time available. Some customers will always choose to fly first for various reasons. Just like when I am travelling for my work, if my customer is not prepared or able to pay for these services it’s not a contract we will take going forward.

cwoodward
    Participant

Paulakz,
    The Qantas 380 has been flying regularly to HKG ex Sydney for a couple of years.
    From the daily ‘bums on seats’ it seems Cathay J has the stronger following.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi HenryP1
    Thank you for responding to me post above.

Sorry to confuse you.
    I don’t agree with your above conclusions that I find to be rather simplistic and not representative of a pax normal reaction when presented with good alternatives, however as the man with the wooden leg said ‘It’s a matter of opinion’.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Having flown several times in CX’s A350 J I cannot subscribe to the comment ‘many would consider it better than BA F’.

It is a very good all round J offering, however, I doubt I’d choose it over BA F. Given the smaller cabin, larger seats, greater number of crew to pax ratio etc than you experience in F.

For the OP – they are probably both quite similar in F, so it may come down to your personal preference. I’d personally be happy with either.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=954716]Hi HenryP1

Thank you for responding to me post above.

Sorry to confuse you.

I don’t agree with your above conclusions that I find to be rather simplistic and not representative of a pax normal reaction when presented with good alternatives, however as the man with the wooden leg said ‘It’s a matter of opinion’.[/quote]

Sorry I can’t agree, if someone is planning to fly first class why would they be interested in a different product which someone is trying to flog. No different if I am purchasing a BMW, to be told that a much smaller and cheaper car has nice soft furnishings.

HongKongLady
    Participant

If it’s a discounted fare, then BA while not the greatest First product out there is enjoyable, especially when you get a good crew.

cwoodward
    Participant

Henryp1 wrote:

‘Sorry I can’t agree, if someone is planning to fly first class why would they be interested in a different product which someone is trying to flog. No different if I am purchasing a BMW, to be told that a much smaller and cheaper car has nice soft furnishings.’

As I mentioned above it is a matter of opinion.

Tasclean
    Participant

CX dont have F to Aust any more, tho occasionally they might have an F-fitted aircraft rotated in at short notice.

For the original OP, unless you are chasing points/SC’s/Avios then do consider SQ or just abouit anyone else..

MarkP1966
    Participant

The BA 777’s to Sydney are the 300 series – the oldest being purchased in 2010, the newest 2014. I recently traveled in FIRST on this plane and was more than happy with both the seat and service

manxman123
    Participant

Haven’t looked at the current pricing, but if you’re paying for the tickets in real money I think First Class is disproportionately expensive. Take a look by comparison with a round the world fare on BA Club Class and you may find it’s cheaper. You could come back via Auckland, Tahiti, Easter Island, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires back to London. AND you get loads and loads of Avios and Tier Points

esselle
    Participant

As many have already said, if you want to travel in first class, for whatever reason, it makes no sense to have a discussion about business class being cheaper.

1 user thanked author for this post.

lostantipod
    Participant

Out of BA, QF, EY, QR, SG, CX, EK …. and having been on all of them at some point except EK…BA F would be my last choice. Tired old 777, hit and miss crew attention, never the best food or wine (it’s not always bad but under cruz’s penny-pinching regime it will never be top). Anyway you’re going to MEL so BA don’t fly there. If you want the Avios, give QR serious consideration unless you need to go via SGP. I haven’t done QF F for about 8 years; I did QR F On a DOH-SYD-DOH 18 months ago, admittedly as an upgrade, and loved it.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls