BA in first or qantas in first

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• andy
    Participant

I and wife are planning to travel to Melbourne in march 2020.should we travel on ba in first class or on Qantas first class, bearing in mind that the Singapore to Melbourne and back legs are code share ba/qantas any way.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Do you want a better than evens chance of getting there?

Then fly QANTAS.

Gold-2K
    Participant

If you decide on BA from LHR to SIN, be sure to pick the A380 flight. The BA15 that goes on to SYD is a tired old 777 and to be avoided!

SimonS1
    Participant

To be honest if you look online at rankings neither of them rate very highly. There is a reason why BA First Class is considered the best business class in the skies.

I’m not sure what constraints you have but remember you can book Emirates flights with a Qantas code. A380 all the way and F on Emirates is light years ahead of BA and QF.

christ
    Participant

The early Singapore flight which goes to Sydney is actually the new 777 – 300 ER – however, it is still horrible in comparison to the A380. Therefore, I agree with Gold – 2k and swap at Singapore. I did the Qantas a380 and I thought it is better than the BA 777 but not as good as A380. Service was average on Qantas – not overly welcoming. The A380 BA Singapore flight is worldwide crew and I always find good. On the second leg from Singapore, you will be stuck with Mixed Fleet and which can be hit or miss. If you are an Avios collector, I think you get less on Qantas than BA (tier points are the same) as it is not like the AA / BA relationship (I could be wrong though).

Inquisitive
    Participant

Unless you are travelling with miles redemption, there is no point spending money by travelling first class in these 2 airlines.

If I had to choose, I would have chosen either SQ or Cathey or Emirates, rack their first class is ‘class’ above from BA or Qantas.

3 users thanked author for this post.

w8ster
    Participant

I would have said Cathay Pacific First LHR – HKG – MEL but I think they fly the A330 from HKG – MEL which doesn’t have any First.

Also, who knows what the airport situation will be by March. Have not tried BA or QF First.

Stormin
    Participant

Price wise I don’t know the difference but you can wait til the next BA seat sale and get to Mel for @£4.6k with BA (and you’ll change to QF at Singapore). Why don’t you do both airlines and write a review for us

To be fair – BA first on the A380 will be great anyway

Enjoy !

paulkaz
    Participant

To confuse matters further Qatar First is pretty good flying A380 to Mel. You could save money and fly the second daily 777 flight to Syd using Q suites in business with a short domestic connection to Mel Either Qatar class way ahead of QF or BA First and you’ll earn one world points.

Henryp1
    Participant

For Melbourne from London I would always go on Qatar as it’s a great airline with good products and crew. Or on Qantas business from Sydney if already in Australia. It’s very much an individual choice depending on likes and preferences, with Qatar the cabin is open plan with lots on individual space, with just 8 seats. There are probably clips or travel reports on YouTube which will give an opinion and show the cabin layouts.

cwoodward
    Participant

CX first is regarded by most as being far superior to both BA and QF and probably also the most pleasant as the transit in HK is normally a little over 3 hours and the Cathay first class lounges are regarded as some of the worlds best
    It is the quickest way to Melbourne taking as little as (just over) 23 hours and Cathay dovetail many ex UK flights to those going to Melbourne.
    Significantly there is no middle of the night transit in the ME. Daytime flight ex LTR connects with late evening overnight HKG to Melbourne or afternoon/evening departure ex LHR connects with daytime flight to Melbourne.
    The information in one of the above posts above re CX using an A330 HK to Melbourne is incorrect. The new A350 has been used since late 2018.

Cathays A350s in business are regarded by many as being superior to BA first and if you are interested to save a lot of money yet still have an excellent experience I would suggest taking Cathay’s A350 flight ex Gatwick to HK and then on to Melbourne in the same aircraft type. From LTR-HKG its a 777 with first with 6 departures a day.CX has 3 flights a day ex HKG to Melbourne.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=954579]CX first is regarded by most as being far superior to both BA and QF and probably also the most pleasant as the transit in HK is normally a little over 3 hours and the Cathay first class lounges are regarded as some of the worlds best

It is the quickest way to Melbourne taking as little as (just over) 23 hours and Cathay dovetail many ex UK flights to those going to Melbourne.

Significantly there is no middle of the night transit in the ME. Daytime flight ex LTR connects with late evening overnight HKG to Melbourne or afternoon/evening departure ex LHR connects with daytime flight to Melbourne.

The information in one of the above posts above re CX using an A330 HK to Melbourne is incorrect. The new A350 has been used since late 2018.

Cathays A350s in business are regarded by many as being superior to BA first and if you are interested to save a lot of money yet still have an excellent experience I would suggest taking Cathay’s A350 flight ex Gatwick to HK and then on to Melbourne in the same aircraft type. From LTR-HKG its a 777 with first with 6 departures a day.CX has 3 flights a day ex HKG to Melbourne.[/quote]

I don’t believe that CP has first class on that route and Andy wished to travel in first.

first_class_please
    Participant

I do not believe Cathay have served any Australian route with First for at least 20 years.
    No idea why they would choose not to.

mscldrew
    Participant

Limited number of cx planes with First class. They don’t have enough triple sevens to operate the European and USA first class right now.

The bilateral agreement with the Aussie government limiting flights and to put 2 planes with first class a day running SYD-HKG would reduce the overall daily seat count by over 100. That’s far more profitable than a couple of seat sales in first class.

cwoodward
    Participant

Henryp1 wrote:
    ‘I don’t believe that CP has first class on that route and Andy wished to travel in first’.

To clarify: It seems to escaped you that a significant point of my post was that the CX flights in J ex Gatwick on the A350 were superior to BAs First class offering also faster and possibly more convenient and with the added bonus of the Wing and Pier lounges in HK. This apart from being also a very considerably less costly.
    I apologise if these points of my post was not clear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls