Bailout of airlines….what do we get in return

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996844][/postquote]

Interesting thought. I wonder if you need a flag carrier for that. There are plenty of cargo airlines around (or even cargo divisions of regular airlines) who presumably will carry on as before and may even scale up activity.

On the other hand belly freight clearly is substantial, so maybe you do…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=996739][/postquote]

I see the quoted figures for Branson’s wealth falling by the week. The latest one I saw (yesterday) was 3.5 billion.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=996860]I see the quoted figures for Branson’s wealth falling by the week. The latest one I saw (yesterday) was 3.5 billion.[/quote]

So our choices are pretty much ….

1) Free Market blood bath with jobs strewn across the land , and tax payers contributing via unemployment benefit payments (huge)
    2) Social democratic state aid interventions. protecting shareholders , fat cats & importantly employees as we taxpayers prop up currently unsustainable businesses
    3) At no cost to the taxpayer , we encourage individuals to part with a percentage of their unimaginable wealth that can only be described as immorally high digital fortunes built on the back of their workers .

I wonder what option we can discount !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

canucklad said, “I wonder what option we can discount !!”

No – I know what to do – [1] give Branson a new pilot’s hat, [2] get the lease for Necker Island off him, [3] make him strip all the seats out of all Virgin Atlantic planes and put them on air cargo runs. Job done

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Re # 3 above

You may have missed this thread. VS now turning to cargo.

Virgin Atlantic goes cargo-only to Tel Aviv

1 user thanked author for this post.

jsn55
    Participant

In the US, this is an easy topic. Our domestic airlines will get whatever they want from the US government, they will continue reducing comfort, being miserly with pax, treating their employees badly. Seems that no matter how bad a flight gets, people still clamour to fill the seats. Major criteria for most pax is cheap. So why not squeeze even more from your customers? It’s all about the money, no customer service need show its face anywhere in an airline.

toukyoumaster
    Participant

[postquote quote=999305][/postquote]

This is a major point about European travel. How much of it can be replicated by rail and ferry travel? The majority of the “isolated” flights are covered by the likes of regional airlines, not the major players like IAG, and most of the country is covered well-enough by rail links.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls