Bags on BMI short haul

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Maninseat2C
    Participant

Has anyone tried traveling with two pieces of hand luggage on BMI short haul since the new one-cabin system came in?

I’d welcome some advice. The BMI site allows bookings in Business and Business Flexible even on flights when there’s not a separate cabin (ie short not mid haul). That should allow 2x hand baggage + a personal item and 30KG hold (weight based) – similar to LH.

However the Economy Flexible allowance is one bag onboard and 20KG in the hold.

Client is trying to persuade me to go BMI rather than BA CE, and to be fair it is cheaper. But if they don’t allow the second item (which is equipment we need at an event) it would be a deal breaker.

Route is LHR – TXL

thanks!

Travellator
    Participant

This is the official line, from my experience flying from BHD it is not policed and people regularly bring 2 bags on board

You can take one piece of hand baggage.

All hand baggage must have a maximum length of 55cm, width of 40cm and depth of 23cm.

You may also take into the cabin one personal item, such as a small handbag, purse, small briefcase, laptop (in a thin satchel) or baby-changing bag. There is no weight restriction for your cabin baggage but you must be able to lift your bag unaided into the overhead locker.

Maninseat2C
    Participant

Finding out what happens in practice is what makes this forum so valuable.
    The odd thing is they advertise economy and economy flexible and business and business flexible tickets online. Econ flex and business give lounge access but the baggage rules are different. I’d presume that on a business ticket the business allowance (30kg hold, 2 bags plus personal item) applies as per their website. But I also know there’s no business cabin on the BMI aircraft.
    I don’t want to turn up at LHR with kit and be told to check it in – in fact it can’t be checked in – so unless they clarify we’ll have to go BA.

Travellator
    Participant

I think you will find there is BUSINESS on LHR/TXL.

Business was discontinued on most inter UK flights.

BMi charge the same for Flexible Economy on these routes as was previously charge for Business, however the product is vastly different, 3×3 seating , only snacks and baggage reduced from 30kg to 20kg.

Maninseat2C
    Participant

If they do that’s great, with no LH or Air Berlin BA have had Tegel to themselves for too long.
    Funny that the BMI call centre doesn’t know the configuration for the aircraft for that route… Or then again maybe not…

TonyMP45
    Participant

I flew BMI to TXL 10 days ago and there is definitely Business Class available. Mind you on the way out there was only person seated in the 3 available rows that were curtained-off. Economy was full. It was a punctual and professional service from BMI.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls