Baggage problems Heathrow July 2016

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Heard from 2 sets of friends suffering very badly with lost luggage from Heathrow.

1. 3 students going London – Tokyo on CX – message from CKTS Baggage Service on behalf of Cathay. Blaming Heathrow, where the bags currently are “we have no idea when your baggage will arrive”

2. Another couple, Rome to London, no sign of bags and has not been able to speak to BA.

One point about lost bags, the airlines always seem to know when bags are loaded but passengers are not. Are the airlines not meant to track the bags position throughout the entire process.. I know this wont stop bags getting lost, but at least their owners should be told exactly where the bags are…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

icenspice
    Participant

Nothing new, Martyn.

At the gate at LHR, I asked whether my bag had been loaded after a longhaul flight.

‘Yes, don’t worry’

In other words, we know perfectly well your luggage has not made the connection, but please board now.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you board towards the end of the Q, you can insist on asking the gate agent to check on the screen the location of your bag, against your ticket number. They will huff and puff, especially if everyone asks, but the information is there. Remember, if you are an early boarder, the bags may not yet have been loaded. But be assured, the airline knows exactly where you bag is at any moment in time…

Also, when you boarding card is scanned, the small screen on the gate confirms whether you have any checked baggage..

1 user thanked author for this post.

slotski
    Participant

I had an 80 minute connection at LHR CE/CW (CPH-LHR-JFK) bags made it to New York with no problems. I was glad as read some scare stories via FT forum that CPH baggage handling is pretty bad over the summer.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Slotski – You were fortunate. That connection would only be possible when transferring (int-int) within T5.

The MCT for T5 (int-int) is 60 mins and, judging by BT readers’ feedback, that MCT is only possible when everything is running perfectly.

slotski
    Participant

AMcWhirter

Maybe we were very lucky. On deplaning (T5A) a BA agent was waiting with a placard with our flight number, she directed us to get to T5B. As CW passengers we could use the fast track lane and were through security etc very quickly and even managed 20 minutes in the T5B Gslleries lounge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls