BAEC autumn enhancements?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• pinstripes&airmiles
    Participant

Apparently the aforementioned “bronze” level will be introduced (in-line with what Binman first commented), if the KLM/AF model is anything to go by, this wouldn’t entitle a holder to lounge access (just bonus miles and priority boarding).

And speaking of miles, allegedly they won’t be called miles under the new program, although I don’t have any information about what they will be called.

All staff who are being briefed about the program changes are being made to sign non-disclosure agreements, so I imagine we’ll have to wait for the press release to uncover the facts of what is actually going to materialise from this change.

RichHI1
    Participant

Unless we get the skinny from that masked man… as neither he and his family work for nor are nor have been instructed by BA…

Maybe they are going to call them kilometers, to be good IAG Euros…

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Will have to keep my eye open.. only have 35k BA miles and have not used them for a few years following servicing issues and prohibitively high fares.

Also waiting for LH to sign the death warrent on BD Diamond Club too that seems to have gone quiet on that front too.

continentalclub
    Participant

It seems to make sense for oneworld FFPs to move towards a more consistent structure – or at least observance of one.

It’s also in the public domain, I believe, that Iberia Plus and British Airways Executive Club will both retain their names in any forthcoming standardisation of back-end systems and aligning of policies. As StephenLondon speculates, it probably also makes sense for American Advantage to be taken into early account in any ‘coalescence’ of oneworld programmes.

And, since the JB agreements also extend to Royal Jordanian and Finnair, they would seem the logical next candidates for tweaking.

What will happen with Qantas is potentially open to slightly more conjecture; the BA JBA was renewed last year and has four years to run, perhaps suggesting candidacy for Qantas Frequent Flyer re-jigging to conform. However, Qantas are engaged in a fairly comprehensive business review at present, so anything could happen I suppose.

I agree too that JAL are likely to resist much change in the short term as they normalise operations, but Cathay would appear to be in a strong position to take part in the design and implementation of a more standardised framework across the alliance.

If IAG are to be the focus of this, then it might be relevant to consider how BA dealt with the revamp of their corporate rewards scheme ‘OnBusiness’ last year. The changes were well-publicised and gave members some time to make decisions about how to treat existing balances – burn or retain.

There was an understandable amount of concern regarding the changed earning and redemption rates but, anecdotally, most seem happy that the new system (now that it’s been in operation for ten months) is probably slightly fairer than the old one. In fact, the only real loss was the ability to upgrade certain fare classes – but since those PFU opportunities were never great value anyhow, I don’t think many have missed them.

If BA replicate that rather benign change in any Executive Club review, then there shouldn’t be a great deal to panic over, and the notice-period should give at least some opportunity to consider positions.

That said, there’s always something of a risk in maintaining large balances in any scheme.

kin3kin
    Participant

its sounds good when they say “enchance” not sure what they mean,more and better benefits ???or anythings else

andrew.gill
    Participant

I was sure ‘change’ was marketing code for a reduction in benefits, so talk of enhancement, must be good, right … 🙂

NTarrant
    Participant

Interesting you mention OnBusiness continentalclub as for us there appears very little difference in terms of earning and amount required to use for redemptions. Unless of course I have missed something!

continentalclub
    Participant

In the OnBusiness changes, redemption rates for, say, the Far East did jump a bit, from memory. However, the earning rates also jumped pretty much across the board, so whilst some may have found that a particular reward suddenly moved beyond reach, anecdotally many seem to have found that the increased earn rates actually made possible more rewards, or greater-value rewards more quickly.

I’m sure that others, in specific circumstances, weren’t so unaffected, but overall it doesn’t seem to have rocked the boat too much and this year’s ad campaign for the programme seems to suggest confidence in its future continuation.

continentalclub
    Participant

Interesting news being reported today on BT:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/aa-formalises-million-miler-programme

I wonder whether this move by American may be something of a smoke-signal for any part of possible changes/top-tier improvements to the Executive Club.

I’m amused by the news that for a limited period, mileage earned through credit card spend will be counted towards MM qualification; I can hear the begging calls to Citi now:

Hello, Citi? Any chance that I can pay a million bucks into my account today and you lift my spend limit to the same for the next month or two? Why? Oh, erm, it’s like….complicated

🙂

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes lots of aadvantage enhancements coming out… This one I think makes sense as including purchased miles and credit card purchases as well as bonus miles devalues the Million Mile statuses (not that you get much after the first two but the extra evips are useful.

The other one today s preferred seating is now called preferred plus seating… I know isn’t that amazing….I wonder how many marketeers when on a retreat in Dallas to work that one out..

What will be interesting in any coming together is how they handle the differing strucutres. BA EC being an FFB plan with Lounges whereas Aadvantage is an FFB planand Admirals Club is the lounge club.

I know form many posts that British Airways flyers cannot get their heads around this difference.

Even more interesting now that you can use Admirals Club lounge as a member when not flying Oneworld or AA but you cannot use a BA EC lounge as a BA EC Gold if not flying oneworld.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls