BA.com deception

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

ZaabSethna
    Participant

Recently I checked on BA.com to see how many tier points and miles I would get for flying business class on Royal Jordanian from LHR-AMM.
    BA.com said I would earn 2859 miles and 120 tier points so I went ahead and purchased a business class ticket on rj.com for GBP1700 one way. When I applied to BA for credit they informed me that the fare class that my ticket was issued in is ineligible for miles or tier points. So I got nothing for the flight. I feel deceived by ba.com.

Potakas
    Participant

You are right to be..

I don’t know how exactly works but here they don’t say anything about any restrictions

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecpartnroneworld/execclub/_gf/en_gb

VintageKrug
    Participant

Did you book the ticket direct with BA/Royal Jordanian? [sorry you already answered that].

I am very surprised you didn’t get any credit; you certainly should have done as *most* – very nearly ALL – fares do attract the miles and points per the calculator.

The only fares which may not attract miles/points are:

1. Mileage redemptions

2. Some corporate/restricted fares (specially negotiated by your employer, and very rare)

3. Some government fares (as above)

4. Some staff travel fares (most on BA do attract mileage and points, may not be the case on other carriers)

5. Fares for which miles/points have already been credited to another carrier

6. Some package fares where flight/hotel are purchased via a third party.

7. You cannot claim for flights taken more than six months ago.

If your ticket doesn’t come under these criteria, then my advice would be to call back and press your case; make sure you have all the required documentation to hand.

The calculator is very accurate and I have never experienced an error in what it says you should be awarded.

Out of interest, which BAEC call centre are you dealing with?

ZaabSethna
    Participant

I purchased what I assumed was a full business class ticket on rj.com. No restrictions and no special govt or corporate fare. I also purchased a restricted economy a few weeks later and expected to receive 25% of the TP and mileage and again got nothing. BA informs me that my two tickets were booked in Q and Z class neither of which give any miles or TP. I have been dealing with UK Gold Card call centre.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have done a bit more digging and it seems BA might actually be correct in this regard.

Check out the BA.com oneworld eligible fares:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecpartnroneworld/public/en_gb

and click on the extra info for RJ flights. No mention of Q or Z fare buckets.

Check out the RJ points calculator:

http://www.rj.com/en/tabid/227/locale/en-US/default.aspx

Q is discount economy fare bucket, so would have some points in their own structure.

There is still no mention of fare class “Z” for business on any site I have looked at (there is only a mention of D) so that is strange.

Digging around on AA.com there is a points table which suggests Q is eligible in AAdvantage for miles earning:

http://www.rj.com/en/tabid/227/locale/en-US/default.aspx

Still no mention of Z in that chart, which is also odd. Z *can* be an award bucket on some airlines, and BA uses this code as a FIRST redemption bucket (just checked a recent redemption in F, and that’s what is noted in the booking).

I know you have already been very clear this was a fully flexible one way ticket, so I don’t want to labour the point, but are you absolutely certain this was not one of those book into economy and get a free upgrade to Business Class deals which they offer from time to time?

You should also note that if you were connecting to Iraq, the fare would also be ineligible for miles and points earning.

I would be very annoyed if I was in your position, but I suppose it’s one to put down to experience.

What could be done to help others avoid a similar situation?

1. Clearer articulation of the fare buckets which do not attract Miles and TPs on the page I linked to on BA.com above.

2. A clearer statement on the RJ website that the fares you purchased would not be miles/points earning.

I can see, though, that setting out non-earning fare classes, especially for affiliated airlines, could be difficult, as fare classes used change and would be difficult to keep track of.

Colleagues have noted serious difficulties getting RJ flights to post at all to BAEC (still not very joined up!) but it’s good that you have raised this here so that others can be cautious when booking similar itineraries in the future.

AMM is somewhere I am keen to visit and RJ’s Crown Class and lounges at AMM are by all accounts very good (apart from the slopey seat):

http://www.rj.com/en/tabid/187/locale/en-US/default.aspx

ZaabSethna
    Participant

Not the first time I have had problems on RJ. They are usually quite late in crediting miles and TP and last year I booked a One World around the world ticket in business class. One leg was on RJ and it seems they did not bother to confirm this sector. Although the ticket was purchased from BA and status showed OK, every time I went to check in for a flight I was told the entire ticket has been cancelled because RJ had not confirmed the MUC-AMM sector. Had to argue and force counter staff to look into it at every stage of the journey. What a hassle.

ZaabSethna
    Participant

BTW Crown Class onboard service and lounge nothing special. Not a single electrical outlet in the main lounge at Queen Alia Int Airport.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls