ba.com booking fee

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

viking01
    Participant

Excuse me if this has been discussed already.

I have just booked our European holiday for next year for the little vikings and Mrs Viking on ba.com.

The flights were £71 each way each, so £142 return.

Yet on the next page, it says

2 Adults at £ 79.00 (each) and then taxes of £61.30 = £ 280.60
    2 Children at £79.00 (each) and then taxes of £ 59.90 = £ 277.80

So miraculously, an extra £8 per person has come from somewhere.
    I tried again, same result, no explanation..

But look closely, and at the bottom of the page where the £71 each way is quoted, it says

“The prices shown are intended to help you choose your most appropriate journey. The exact total will be shown after you have selected your outbound and inbound flights and may be higher than the amount shown on this page.”

May be….! I wonder if they are ever lower….

but then we get to

* ba.com booking fee.

I was expecting this to be £4.95.

It was £18.

£18 for four people! £4.50 per person ! On top of the ticket price and payable to BAmex.

The note on the previous page warned me, though.

“If you choose to pay using a UK billed credit card you will incur a credit card surcharge of £4.50 per ticket.”

So it’s my fault. I chose to use the credit card, so it’s my fault. It’s a BA Amex card, but it’s still my fault.

But what other options do I have?

CMoir12
    Participant

You can use the American Express Travel website – they only accept AMEX and do not charge the booking fee. The prices are also the same as BA.com.

Also, if the flights were £142 each return and you were charged £280 haven’t you been undercharged just under £2?

viking01
    Participant

My God, you’re right. That’s good news.

And then I can then think of it as a discount from the outrageous booking fee.

So if I book through the AMEX site I don’t pay the booking fee yet still get the miles etc…. ?

That’s good news no.2.

Thanks

CMoir12
    Participant

Yes – still get the miles. The only downside is if you cancel/amend – they charge £20 per ticket above what BA charge. You also don’t get the shareholder discount.

viking01
    Participant

Not a shareholder, so only the cancelation would be the sting.
    Thanks again

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though you save the cc booking fee, there are some disadvantages of booking via Amex (or indeed any Travel Agent):

You cannot (yet) upgrade/MFU any bookings not made on ba.com or via telephone direct with BA. Changes are afoot on this front, however.

Nor would you get the bonus BA Miles using your BA Amex.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls