Baby born on BA82 yesterday

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 03/05/2014 15:48 GMT : It used to be the case that you’d acquire the nationality of the country (or vessel) where you were born, but I think the law was changed a few years ago so you now have the nationality of your parents (US excepted) wherever you may be born.

Not necessarily, I expect, LP. Since both the Offspring were born outside the UK, but we were born in the UK, we have passed our full British citizenship to them. However, they will not be able to pass on full British citizenship to their own offspring unless (a) the child is born in the UK or (b) the father is a full British citizen and himself born in the UK (i.e. you can pass down British citizenship only through one overseas-born generation)

If either were to give birth onboard a BA (or other UK airline) flight and the father were not a UK-born British citizen, would that be treated as a birth on UK soil, I wonder?

Although I hope that doesn’t happen, on a UK or any other airline!

Last I read, the father is waiting for a visa to visit his wife and son, who will have to stay in Palma for several months until the baby is fit to travel

Best wishes to the whole family, what a stressful experience, and well done to the crew and doctor involved

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Good question Judy – I have never been asked although, as it happens, I have plenty of medical ID about me.

Tibs941
    Participant

Doctors can have a line printed stating they are a doctor of medicine on the ‘notes’ page of a British passport.

Tibs941
    Participant

Doctors can have a line printed stating they are a doctor of medicine on the ‘notes’ page of a British passport.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls