Baby born on BA82 yesterdayCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Baby born on BA82 yesterday

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Tibs941 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

rferguson
    Participant

The passengers and crew on the BA082 from Abuja to London had a surprise yesterday – a mother went into labour and a baby was delivered inflight.

When the mother began going into labour the flight crew diverted the aircraft to Palma however the baby was born before the aircraft landed.

london85
    Participant

what fleet operated that flight ? not much about it a boy or a girl?

rferguson
    Participant

It was a baby boy, named Michael. The mother was only 26 weeks pregnant and was travelling to Washington DC via LHR. She was also travelling with her one year old daughter.

A public address was made for a doctor. A female doctor delivered the baby with cabin crew (Mixed Fleet) assisting.

1nfrequent
    Participant

I hope that mother and boy are doing well. Must have been very frightening for the mother and crew given how premature he was.

1F

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hats off to them all for that and I hope Mum and babe are fine?

I’ve been on three flights now when a call has gone out for a doctor, and there’s always been one on board. This amazes me as I understand in the UK you can wait up to a week for a doctors appointment yet on a plane one arrives in minutes 😉

Seriously though, I always wonder how many professions are on board the average flight, and if there’s always a doctor/dentist/pilot/ engineer on board…..

DavidGordon10
    Participant

LP – you will remember that I started a thread on this a year or so ago (http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Is-there-a-doctor-on-board) and you contributed.

On a long-haul flight, if there is a doctor call, then two or three often answer – I have been part of a quick impromtu conference in mid-air to see which of us is best qualified to deal with the problem in question.

I absolutely take my hat off to the doctor and cabin crew who delivered the baby. Delivery at 26 weeks is quite perilous for the baby.

HaggisCH
    Participant

Where is recorded on the birth certificate as the place of birth?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder David.

Haggis, I believe if you’re born on a US registered plane you become American. It used to be the case that you’d acquire the nationality of the country (or vessel) where you were born, but I think the law was changed a few years ago so you now have the nationality of your parents (US excepted) wherever you may be born.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

What a lovely story. Hope the baby, and mother, are doing OK.

bombayteddy
    Participant

I have heard that babies delivered on planes are entitled to free tickets on that airline for life. Is that true?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

No it’s not true BombayTeddy!

MontysDouble
    Participant

rferguson:

… with cabin crew (Mixed Fleet) assisting.

LuganoPirate:

Hats off to them all for that..

boom boom.

judynagy
    Participant

Ah, LP, you touch on an interesting point … I have heard several medical calls on airplanes and a doctor always materializes. Does someone check that they ARE doctors? Do doctors carry ID?

TominScotland
    Participant

Then you can also be a Dr but not be medically qualified. I stopped using my non-medical doctorate on tickets because of the surprising frequency with which I got a tap on the shoulder and “Excuse me, Sir – are you a doctor?”……..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.