BA787-9 Aircraft Changes

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• DavidArnold
    Participant

Good morning. I am travelling to Abu Dhabi twice in July and l know there are 787 changes due to engine issues. Is there a way l can find out prior to my trips if there is a change. I am travelling First and enjoy the 787 and hope there are no Qatar aircraft changes and wondered if Abu Dhabi would allow Qatar metal at the moment anyways due to the political differences involving Qatar and the majority of the Middle East.
    Many thanks Dave

FDOS_UK
    Participant

David, you will not yet be able to find out forsure, only when the aircraft is allocated (at about -72 hours) and even then there is the possibility of a late change.

Having said that you will not be travelling on a Qatar aircraft, as these are not allowed into UAE airspace due to the blockade.

You are probably in decent shape for this trip, since the most likely substitution for the 787 would be a 777 and the F cabin that is best avoided (IMHO) is the 747, as it is somewhat tight in space.

FWIW, you can track the flight and equipment on this site – it has been all 789 back until 10 Aoril, wwhen a 777 was used

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW73/history

2 users thanked author for this post.

DavidArnold
    Participant

Appreciate the reply and hope it is the 787 as l find it a great seat in a wonderful aircraft.

Nogbad01
    Participant

Totally agree with FDOS re 747 first.
    Only tried the 777 and 747, and the 777 beats it by a mile.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=871797]Appreciate the reply and hope it is the 787 as l find it a great seat in a wonderful aircraft.[/quote]

Yes, I just flew in Premium Economy to Cairo and it was very comfortable – though that was a B787-8 so less so, in economy.

British Airways B787-9 to offer wider economy seat

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I love the 787, my favourite pax jet I’ve flown on (fast, quiet, lower cabin altitude and higher humidity) and that includes the B707, 717, 727, 737, 747, 757 and 777, as well as the A300, 310, 320, 330, 340 (haven’t tried the 350 yet), 380, DC9, 10, MD80, L1011, Comet 4, 1-11, Trident, BAe146, RJ series, all the jungle jets and Canadairs and the Dassault Mercure etc.

Of the classes I’ve flown J (QR, BA) and W (BA, DY), I found the QR business excellent, BA CW mediocre and BA W very good, but exceeded by DY W, as the seat pitch is quite a lot more. I didn’t like the look of Y in any of them and haven’t tried BA F.

DavidArnold
    Participant

The recent jaunts to the Middle East for me sees a ranking of 1. Etihad, 2. Qatar and 3. BA if travelling in Club/Business class and the lounges are a factor in this too especially the lovely Etihad lounges at LHR and AUH.

The BA First product is excellent on the 787 and at the prices l look for is so much cheaper than the other 2 ME airlines. This time of year flying to Abu Dhabi the load factor is quite low so l shall ask if l can take a seat in Y+ but when flying Club l always choose 7A or 7K as this allows direct aisle and sits in a smaller zone just behind First.

I have never flown Emirates as Dubai is not a place l visit often but l shall compile a video of the BA seat on my next flight and download it to the forum. However nowhere near the quality of BT!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

@FDOS_UK — love your list and like you, of all the modern ones, I also have not yet tried the A350, but that will be remedied in August with AY.
    However, and this is not of course a competition, but did you not fly on the Viscount, SH3-30, SH3-60, Trislander, VC-10, B720, B767 (maybe you just missed that one), MD-11, ATR-42 and 72, Do328, Saab 340 + 2000, Embraers 170 + 190 or how about this magnificent flying machine from the past, the Super Constellation? (with QF, if you wonder SIN-LHR). And just to add some spice into this, I have flown on the An-26, An-124 and on many, many occasions the old ‘vodka burner’, the Ilyushin Il-76.
    Anyway you are quite correct about BA, they cannot use the QR A330’s to AUH at all.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Odd that so many prefer 777 to 747. The former is my most loathed aircraft for so many reasons and I find the 747 so much more enjoyabe especially if in rows 2/1/maybe 3..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

alainboy56

No competition, at all 🙂 You’re right, I missed off the 767 (200/300/400) and the Do328 Jet. I’ve also been on a few turboprops, Viscount, F27, F50, Nord 262, Dash 7 and 8, Do328 propjet, ATR 42 and 72, Saab 2000 (a favourite), Shorts 360 (not the 330).

I never got to ride the VC10, always wanted to, but my travel was shorthaul in those days and the 707 rides were between London and Lisbon (TAP) and Madrid/Paris (Avianca) – funny to think that a 737-800 carries about the same amount of peeps, whereas the -100 was a baby, by comparison. Also, I saw plenty of 720s with Monarch, but never rode one. The smallest aircraft I rode on as apaxon acommercial flught was a Beech Baron – a type I later flew as a PPL.

I have never been on eastern bloc aircraft, like your impressive list.

One slightly unusual jet I’ve taken a few times is the A340-200 with SAA and Egyptair – not too many of those built.

The Super Connie is a magnificent beast.

alainboy56
    Participant

@FDOS_Uk ah there are some interesting types there which also I omitted, like F-27 F-50 F-100, BAe ATP, and DHC Dash 7’s, I also forgot Emb 135/145— What about a HP Herald back in 87 and a Convair CV-580 (From JNB to Livingstone in the jump seat) in 93.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Having flown in both 787 and A350 my preference is for the A350. 787 was much hyped but somehow fails to live up to the promise.

DavidArnold
    Participant

I agree that the A350 is a fine aircraft but the 787 to me is equally as good. I have flown the two variants of the 787 with BA, Qatar, Etihad, Qantas and Air France and enjoyed my trips thoroughly. The flights were in Business or First so do not know what Economy would be like but seat arrangement wise l would imagine they would be similar. I have only flown an A350-900 with Qatar and must say to me there was no discernable difference.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls