BA747 Refurbishment

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• M.Moose
    Participant

Looking at doing Asia to US return next Feb / Mar on BA. Gonna do Y this trip (unfortunately).

Noticed BA offers attractive fares and was considering trying their 789 out of KUL and possibly the refurbished 747 out of LHR to one of the US cities.

Heard they have completed the refurbishment. Anyone been on one recently?

mkcol74
    Participant

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I travelled in Y from ORD-LHR in April in a refurbished 747 and the updated interior was noticeable and certainly a step up on the older interiors.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

“Our engineers have made these amazing aircraft look and feel like new, with enhanced comfort, cutting edge technology and cool, clean design.”

So says the BA spokesman.

Unfortunately, the rest of the aircraft is a 20+ year old clunker that is likely to suffer a higher rate of tech problems, gzzle huge amounts of fuel and would be better re-purposed into beer cans, IMO.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Based on KUL-LON-NYC return, you should be able to get an Economy fare for around £950 inc.taxes but, if you can stretch the budget to c£1500, you could have Premium Economy instead – worth considering for the extra comfort?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=726302]Based on KUL-LON-NYC return, you should be able to get an Economy fare for around £950 inc.taxes but, if you can stretch the budget to c£1500, you could have Premium Economy instead – worth considering for the extra comfort?

[/quote]

Personally, I’d say yes, for such a long journey – even the old style seats have 7″ extra pitch and a inch extra width, plus a CW main course.

WTP is BA’s relatively best product (especially the new seats) IMO.

Mazin26
    Participant

Wow, what a good offer.

Window-seat
    Participant

I’ve flown in Business and First on the refurbished 744 to NYC and BOS and they are very nice, not quite freshness of the A380 & 787’s, but there is something very lovely about the sound of the 744 engine revving up for take off (yes, tragically romantic about these old things).

The most noticeable improvement is the inflight entrainment and screens are much better.

M.Moose
    Participant

@Window-seat: That’s what I’m thinking too…been flying for close to 20 years…haven’t been on a 747 in a long…I mean really long time.

@AlanOrton1
    : hence my hesitation…body still old (as pointed out by @FDOS_UK)..subject to maintenance and heavy fuel consumption.

Stowage222
    Participant

The inside of the refurbed 747 is a vast improvement over the old. As suggested above, the WTP seat is definitely much better for such a long trek. The birds might be old but I haven’t been delayed because of this in quite a while. Believe me people, you’ll miss them when they’ve flown their final mile!

AsiaTraveler
    Participant

BA still flying the non-updated 747s on the Beijing route (there and back last week)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls