BA WTP or JAL premium econ ? Which is better LHR to Japan?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• travelwell
    Participant

Planning a trip in Sept to tokyo. Which is a better seat and experience BA or JAL in premium economy ?
    Thanks

K1ngston
    Participant

travelwell, for me it depends what aircraft BA are using for the sector if its the 380 then WTP is ok, if its 777 or worse case scenario a 747 I would probably aim for JAL..

They are a good service and I use them here in Asia to keep up my OW status, but my recent upgrade to WTP to the UK I have to say on BA was comfortable on the 380

Hope that helps?

travelsforfun
    Participant

travelwell, if in doubt, and all else being equal, I would err on the side of JAL. I haven’t flown JAL in Premium Economy but in general I find JAL inflight service is impressive, even in Economy. BA World Traveller Plus is OK (though I haven’t flown it on an A380).

Also, note that (if you don’t already have status) pre-booked JAL Premium Economy will give you access to lounges at Heathrow, Haneda and Narita.

Dolphin500
    Participant

I have used both Premium Economy services between North America and UK or North America and Narita, both in 777 (772 BA and 773JL) but I have to say that JAL offers much more benefits than BA, JAL has dedicated PE check-in, priority services in North America and NRT. Seats are a discussion point, because they are totally different, in JAL had the chance to book the bulk head seat that have amazing good legroom, BA doesn’t allow you to book those seats in advance they are blocked for very high customers or to be assign at the airport… but seats designs are also very different.. I prefer JAL because you recline within your space and every seat has leg and calf support that is so good, but the reclining system is not the traditional as BA has and some people find it not great, but I’m 6′ tall and is the only seat that I could sleep in PE. Food is about the same, in JAL is the same as Economy that actually is very good, but served in different way and they have extras like Real Champagne and some noodles as snack and the crew is just outstanding and you don’t feel that need to call anyone, is always someone around to help you. BA has some crew good and some outstanding. The best for JL as NH you don’t need to have status on One World to use the lounge in NRT or HND or certain international destinations, PE ticket gives you that benefit. Just try one way in BA and one way in JL… but I would take JL.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Travelwell another consideration is what route are you on – Narita or Haneda. To NRT BA use 789s now, and I would avoid these if you like window seats as they have these silly windows that you cannot really control.

Seat wise, I have not tried the JL seat like Dolphin 500, but I personally find the BA Y+ seat very comfortable, and with a decent and easy to use entertainment system.However as Dolphin mentioned, other issues make a difference. I flew SIN-LHR once in Y+ and there were no snacks available at all mid flight, and I am very sure JL would not be like that.

Not sure if you have BA or Oneworld status, but you could try one airline each way. However I do not like the BA schedule out – arriving in Japan in the morning and super jetlagged, but if you fly JL you arrive mid afternoon, in time to get to where you are staying, have walk and dinner, and then sleep.

Let us know what you choose and eventually how it goes!

travelwell
    Participant

anyone done ANA in premium economy as they look ok from LHR to NRT ?

thanks

K1ngston
    Participant

travelwell I have not done in ANA but I have friends here who swear by the airline and as they are part of the Star Alliance they will only use them to Tokyo from Singapore..

I would trust his judgement as he is an airline snob! … Hope this helps and sorry for the delay I have been away

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls