BA, WT Ice Cream, WTP No Ice Cream

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• AlanOrton1
    Participant

Slightly bizarre…

Travelling in WTP yesterday to EWR I was chatting with a couple of the crew in the rear galley, just over half way through the flight and after ice cream (Magnum, no less) service had been made to the WT cabin.

Somewhat embarrassingly they said the new dictat from on high was to serve these to the WT cabin, but not to WTP.

Although the illogical nature of this has been fed back by crew to head office, the head honchos are happy with this new service offering.

BA take the steps to improve the catering on flights such as this, yet as with many other examples, come up with something like this! Bonkers.

openfly
    Participant

Every passenger on Thomas Cook long haul flights gets a Magnum mid-flight. It’s been like this for years. If you behave yourself in Premium Economy you get an extra one, if there are any left over!! ?

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s an odd coincidence as I am just looking at some TC flights for the end of next week (CPT) It quite appeals to me as they have a day flight once a week in each direction. I wanted Premium but there are no window seats on the dates I want to travel so I might bite the bullet, get a window seat in steerage, and save some money. On balance though I will probably stick to LX/WK even though it involves a stroll through ZRH airport.

rferguson
    Participant

Yes it’s weird. BA’s service enhancements can be a little disjointed. It’s not just the ice creams – it’s the breakfast box on shorter longhaul flights too. With the WT enhancement WT gets the old style box back and in WTP it’s still the ‘basket of shame’.

This has been asked about on company forums and the answer was ‘this is a world traveller targeted enhancement program’. Apparently WTP will have its own enhancements soon.

openfly
    Participant

@capetonianm Try TC…please! Against my will I flew them three times last season! One night flight and two daylights. I was so surprised as to how good they were that I wrote to the CEO and received a very personal reply…amazed. The value for money, the superb friendly crews, the legroom were all commendable. Flying them again in March!

capetonianm
    Participant

Thanks openfly, I appreciate your endorsement of TC. The thing is, I am hooked on Swiss/Edelweiss as they are just so good, and so is ZRH. Also I have friends in ZRH so it suits me to have a long transit or an overnight there.

The price is close enough for the difference not to matter, so I will book purely on convenience and quality. I enjoy day flights as much as I loathe night flights. I will give this serious consideration as it’s for the end of next week so I need to finalise quite soon.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

rferguson – thank you.

Be interesting to see what the WTP enhancements will be. An extra couple of inches recline would be nice, though suspect that may be a request too far.

Anthony
    Participant

We had magnums on our WTP flight at the end of Jan (daylight) but it was so hard it took an age to eat – maybe that was the idea?- and it was a rather sweet Caramel version. Sadly no choice. Breakfast on the return was handed straight back. So unappetising.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’m flying WTP tomorrow …… and I hate ice cream 🙂

As usual

– I will provide my own food – BA’s is cr*p
    – I will provide my own IFE – BA’s is cr*p
    – I will expect a minimum 20 min delay departing from Heathrow – BA’s schedule control is cr*p

I will look forward to the new boarding procedure.

At least I paid <£500 for the return ticket.

Stowage222
    Participant

Based on my last couple of flights the ice cream made it to WT+ and I believe some CW customers got one too! Although it’s for WT customers only the crew do offer them around should any be spare based on uptake. They are packed with dry ice so anyone with a tooth weakness should avoid!! You should also be aware that the ‘full size’ Magnum is only a short term measure as the product spec is ‘mini size’ but supply of those has been an issue.

openfly
    Participant

@FDOS….if you hate BA so much I have to ask…why fly them? To my knowledge the only route, although I am sure you will prove me wrong, with no competition is ACC. Every route offers at least two carriers.
    BAs IFE is probably acceptable to most passengers, yes there is better quality around.
    BAs food might be offensive to you, but ok with many others.
    Assuming a 20 minute delay…no problems, it could be worse than that….or it could be on time. But BA schedules are usually very fat so you will arrive on time, or early.
    You are right…£500 return in WTP is amazing value…lots of Avios and Tier Points.
    I am sure that there are many on here who are intrigued as to your reason for booking BA when you dislike them so much…just politely decline the Magnum!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

@FDOS….if you hate BA so much I have to ask…why fly them?

[quote quote=851652]£500 return in WTP is amazing value[/quote]

BTW, cr*p does not equal offensive, it is a synonym for poor.

SwissExPat
    Participant

BA has no competition on the Bermuda route and it shows. Significantly higher fares and uses the old seating in WT+.

I have now taken to routing via NYC. Ex Zurich the WT+ to NYC is CHF 750 but via London and then schlepping to LGW from either LCY or LHR, the round trip in WT+ is CHF 2,000.

This is an obvious situation where competition is severely lacking. Also BA excludes the BDA route for the 1 way upgrades to First.

Susi80
    Participant

I’ve just flown to Bangalore with BA in WTP and I got my Magnum ice cream, maybe it’s only on certain flights where they don’t serve it? Nevertheless the “lamb” choice (served for the last 6 years!) has gone down in quality; last year (and the years before) it was a compressed shoulder, very nice, this year they have just a chewy piece of lamb tough as leather. Well, let’s see if they are going to improve it later in the year. At least snack box is back (a bit smaller than 2 years ago) and also tug box is back in the WT galley, wohoo.

openfly
    Participant

@FDOS….who said crap meant offensive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls