BA Winter 2013 +, new aircraft, new routes:- your predictions & wish list

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 161 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Thomson are indeed launching direct flights to Phuket using the 787’s when they get them.

No one has mentioned other Russian cities – could there be opportunities here – or is it all Moscow based??

BigDog.
    Participant

Fair point Tim – Yekaterinburg should be the next direct connection given Moscow and St. Pete are served.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Oneworld partner S7 is there to provide feed, but a bit more penetration , would probably be worthwhile, to connect into the BA network from LHR. I actually think there a lot of intra BRIC traffic that BA could try and capture, but thus far, seem unaware of.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Goa is useless. BA shouldn’t really expand in India because like it or not, EK and EY have a foreign monopoly there. The more the Middle Eastern carriers expand in the US, the worse off it is for European airlines in India!

Senator
    Participant

The comment about HKT explains something I haven’t understood until now. This past winter, TG started ARN-HKT on their ancient B747s, but the return is HKT-BKK-ARN, but direct outbound. So it could be restrictions on the runway.

There are flights from QR to HKT, but perhaps these routes are lighter loads.

sparkyflier
    Participant

And not nearly as far and so much less fuel required. Interesting observation Senator about that TG route.

HarryMonk
    Participant

The Swedish charter flights also operate direct to HKT outbound but make a stop in the middle east on the return.

rferguson
    Participant

MarkivJ I think you are right about India and the surrounding region – to a degree. It probably won’t be on BA’s priority list in terms of expansion but I don’t think the threat of the Middle Eastern carriers would stop BA launching a route that it sees potential in.

There will still always be a number of people that for whatever reason – whether it be they want a direct flight from the UK or just don’t want to fly with one of the mid east carriers – would chose a non stop scheduled flight with a UK carrier.

An example of this is the recently (ish) launched LGW-MLE route. This has performed very well and was launched despite Emirates et al having a plethora of flights and a massive chunk of the UK-Maldives market. Likewise, a tag on to the Maldives flight has now been added to Colombo, another Emirates stronghold.

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is an example of where BA’s direct offering, consistent cabin and guaranteed fully flat business seat, as well as very competitive pricing, wins out despite the odds.

sparkyflier
    Participant

MarkivJ/RFerguson, on India, BMI served Amritsar before BA took them over, and in the past BA operated to Kolkata (previously Calcutta). Ahmedabad may have been served by Air India in the past from LHR.

Could any of these justify making a comeback with 767/787? Maybe a 3 x weekly offering, even with a stop in another city? I wonder if Kolkata would be worthwhile following the very interesting read on India in the latest BT magazine.

Also some of these cities might be ideal stops on the way to Yangon, capital of Myanmar, where sanctions on have with reduced. Could be a nice mix of business traffic and O&D traffic.

Hi sparkyflyer

I just received my copy this morning and saw the article about Kolkata. I wonder why the route was not working for BA? Do you really want to make an overnight stop in Delhi? Kolkata is by far my favourite city on the subcontinent.
    I believe LH pulled out also…and for a city of its size, it’s a shame. What do you think about a CCU-Dhaka route?

sparkyflier
    Participant

As I understand it, the economy of the city (Kolkata) has improved reasonably in the past few years, but the original problem was not enough premium pax.

But with 787 and it seems much cheaper fuel costs, this may make it worthwhile.

Not actually been to India sadly.

Re Dhaka; this now has 3 x weekly 77W ( I just checked), which I suspect will be sufficient for that market.

I wonder if BA are looking to serve Vietnam non stop, or via another city, like BKK. If so daily tags from BKK to Ho Chi Minh will probably be a bit too much, but this could be balanced with maybe a 3/4 flights a week, with a flight to Yangon on the other days.

It will be odd flying to BKK from LHR though and then backtracking, which is why I wonder if Yangon (with the business traffic and tourists), would be better served via India. I cannot see it being self sufficient for a while, which is why it would be best served as a tag to a bigger market.

BA744fan
    Participant

An extension of the BKK flight to Ho Chi Minh/Hanoi and the SIN flight to Jakarta would make sense as it would not require addional slots at Heathrow, but I expect the worry for BA is how many empty seats there would be on the additional legs.

I guess as the 787s come online and the 747s begin to be retired, this would enable BA to introduce new direct flights on the long, thin routes so we might see non-stop flights to Jakarta and Ho Chi Minh before too long.

sparkyflier
    Participant

The extensions enable no extra slot usage, whilst testing out new markets/whetting the appetite of the targetted markets, at the same time keeping costs down re fuel etc.

Once routes are truly viable then the investment in non-stop services can begin.

As a passenger I have never minded a stop on the way as one can stretch the legs. Can also allow for some interesting viewing from a window seat!

Jakarta will I am sure be totally worthwhile. Many have said Manila should come back, but I am not yet convinced, however, maybe as a tag to Taiwan using 787, which I think would make each other worthwhile.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 161 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls