BA wins Superbrands survey, sounds like rubbish to me!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Panda01
    Participant

BA wins the survey for the fourth year in a row. This survey is where people, “consider each brand in relation to their perceived quality, reliability and distinction”. I wouldn’t consider BA to have any of those three things, especially with quality and now reliability with the amount of strikes BA have now. That said though, I still fly with them where possible, which probably means there is something wrong with me.

British Airways tops Superbrands survey again

Tramor01
    Participant

Here is a link to the methodology behind the Superbrands Survey.
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/578392113e00be71f4726933/t/58ac5f2ed2b857122c327105/1487691567186/BSB+2017+Selection+Process.pdf

This is the section from the methodology that makes me laugh. Clearly the “distinguished” respondents to this on line survey live in cloud cuckoo land

Quality. Does the brand provide quality products and services?
    Reliability. Can the brand be trusted to deliver consistently?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A bit like the BREXIT vote – no depth in the question.

DOES THE BRAND PROVIDE QUALITY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES – yes it does, although the quality is dated and bland it does provide quality, sometimes poor, but its still quality.

CAN THE BRAND BE TRUSTED TO DELIVER CONSTANTLY – if “deliver” means the soft products, I would tend to agree there are differences in attitude by those entrusted to deliver a service. However if the survey means delivery in terms of providing a scheduled flight service, I think the airline does deliver, despatch and arrival times happen and on time.

The fact the majority of flights are full, makes me believe passengers feel the same.

Does not mean I believe the soft product is good – it cr*p, but bottom line there is a degree of quality and lots of other passengers think the same…

As with BREXIT, don’t blame the result, blame the question…

esselle
    Participant

I was also pretty surprised to see BA awarded overall best wine cellar in the sky.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

This survey demonstrates the value of brand equity.

Without plumbing the theoretical depths of branding, suffice it to say that the associations that consumers perceive (quality, wine selection, celebrity use etc.) drive their connection and emotional response to the brand.

BA built a very strong brand and despite the cost cutting focus of the current execs,it endures.

But (and it is a big but) the wallpaper is starting tear, in particular the national news outlets are now starting to report disgruntled customer feedback and there will be a tipping point where the brand becomes toxic.

It will then be a tough job to re-establish to love with the market.

It is not a fast process (over the cliff or back) but there is tangible evidence it is happening.

canucklad
    Participant

BA the No 1 Super brand
    It’s an enigma, that’s more like a Chinese conundrum than a Hong Kong Phooey mystery.

To logically try and figure out why BA tops this league, you need to suspend fact and replace it with perceived alternative nostalgic memory.

When customers, or rather consumers close their eyes and imagine BA, I’m sure they see …… Concorde, and “To fly to serve” and pristine pilots and immaculately presented stewardesses flying Speedbirds across the globe. And all that exudes quality

Mention Easyjet and they see cheap frilly and friendly cabin crew dressed in B&Q boiler suits selling you coffee and beer in the way to Benidorm.

Neither of the above are true , yet marketeers have the power to shape our impressions into an alternative reality.

BA will continue to succeed as long as we are willing to wish that they are BOAC in disguise, or are going to return to their world’s favourite airline mantle.

More likely, if they continue to follow their apparent strategy to a Vueling model short haul and strip back service levels on intercontinental routes, they’ll find themselves the as the aviation’s brand equivalent of RBS.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=793352]BA the No 1 Super brand
    It’s an enigma, that’s more like a Chinese conundrum than a Hong Kong Phooey mystery.

To logically try and figure out why BA tops this league, you need to suspend fact and replace it with perceived alternative nostalgic memory.

When customers, or rather consumers close their eyes and imagine BA, I’m sure they see …… Concorde, and “To fly to serve” and pristine pilots and immaculately presented stewardesses flying Speedbirds across the globe. And all that exudes quality

Mention Easyjet and they see cheap frilly and friendly cabin crew dressed in B&Q boiler suits selling you coffee and beer in the way to Benidorm.

Neither of the above are true , yet marketeers have the power to shape our impressions into an alternative reality.

BA will continue to succeed as long as we are willing to wish that they are BOAC in disguise, or are going to return to their world’s favourite airline mantle.

More likely, if they continue to follow their apparent strategy to a Vueling model short haul and strip back service levels on intercontinental routes, they’ll find themselves the as the aviation’s brand equivalent of RBS.

[/quote]

A very clever de-construction of the reality.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls