BA widebody to Berlin, Dublin & Frankfurt!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

Interesting to read that BA has some more wide-body capacity on short-haul hops to Berlin, Dublin and Frankfurt in the coming weeks!

https://simpleflying.com/british-airways-boeing-777-787-flights-frankfurt/

I wonder what the service in a Club suite would entail on such a short flight? Am tempted to book the Dublin flight as I need to fly around this time anyway!

1 user thanked author for this post.

CheerUp
    Participant

Thank you – very helpful.
    A pleasant way to get the last 40 Tier Points I need!

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

The service will be the normal ET/CE offering. Don’t expect to receive CW service just because you happen to be in a long haul configured cabin.

Justin Germany
    Participant

Shame that the Berlin long haul body flights are so sparce according to your link. All of my recent flights from BER to London (either LCY or LHR) have been full and prices are frequently absurdly high. I guess as BA keep reinstating their long haul network as the new long haul aircraft arrive, they have to step up capacity on connecting flights that connect to incoming flights from the U.S.(to connect to Berlin) or to connect at LHR for night flights from Berlin (or Frankfurt).

I have been on a couple of other routes that are typically short haul aircraft, but with one long haul service. BKK to Chaing Mai (Thai 777) and LHR-MAD (Iberia, A330 I think). Business class (about 40 seats) was full on both.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1340818]All of my recent flights from BER to London (either LCY or LHR) have been full and prices are frequently absurdly high.[/quote]

It’s a mystery why Lufthansa Group allows BA to hold a monopoly between BER and LON.

For Lufthansa mainline BER isn’t a hub but then one would have thought the LH Group would have found a LHR slot for Eurowings to operate BER-LHR.

Justin Germany
    Participant

Yes it is a surprise that LH doesn’t run some services to LON as they used to from Tegel to LHR. On the other hand, I would question how profitable that route would be for them since all Star Alliance transfer traffic will go through Frankfurt. Also in terms of service, they rate pretty lowly in my view, having flown internally in Germany with them recently in both classes. In economy the seat pitch is dreadful, although in fairness you can pay for an extra legroom seat which is actually quite decent. Their business class is pathetic though, you are lucky to get a sandwich of your choise and their cheap wine comes served in a paper coffee cup, doesn’t quite tempt high-yield passengers on expenses to choose them instead of BA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed. As I have reported many times it’s current Lufthansa Group policy for Lufthansa mainline (the core brand) to operate only to feed its twin hubs of FRA and MUC.

All other Lufthansa international services from Germany are delegated to budget subsidiary Eurowings.

It’s been several years since Eurowings last operated TXL-LHR.

One would at least think Germany’s capital city would be worthy of better but the answer is no.

If travellers wish to fly to/from Berlin with Lufthansa mainline they must change at FRA or MUC.

Of course the situation will doubtless change in future. From experience it’s a management change and/or strong long-haul competition which might change the Lufthansa way of thinking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls