BA Wants More Female Pilots

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

SergeantMajor
    Participant

BA is busy recruiting pilots right now, with the window of opportunity closing on Tuesday 26th November.

But there’s a shortage of ladies, apparently:

“British Airways is doing its bit to banish prejudice against women drivers by actively encouraging more women to train as pilots.

With one week to go until the current British Airways cadet training programme closes on November 26, the airline is calling for more female applicants to apply”:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2510471/British-Airways-drive-recruit-female-pilots.html

There’s still a lot of prejudie against femaile pilots, according to the article:

“However a recent survey showed that prejudice against women pilots is alive and kicking.

A survey by travel agent sunshine.co.uk at the start of November revealed that 51 per cent of people admitted they were less likely to trust a woman pilot than a male one.”

BA famously had a female Concorde pilot, the late Barbara Harmer, demonstrating its commitment to equality. Perhaps CplFizzle might apply:

http://www.britishairways.com/careers/pilots.shtml

Do other airlines, particularly those in the Middle East, recruit female pilots?

ghostwrita
    Participant

My wife is a pilot with SAA. Think they’re about 30-40 females out of 850 pilots or so.

EK does have about 30 female pilots, including about 7 captains. Not sure about QR (doubtful) or EY (possible).

SimonS1
    Participant

Let us know if Cpl Fizzle applies. Under a previous incarnation I seem to recall some confusion over the Tripolis…..

CplFizzle
    Participant

LoL no chance!! Thanks for thinking of me 🙂 x

JohnHarper
    Participant

I would have thought that in the light of recent events they should concentrate on recruiting pilots who don’t make mayday calls over the PA system rather than worrying about their sex.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

On another thread it was mentioned that BA are getting rid of the 737 fleet. Why are some of these new recruits being trained for 737 (shorthaul) operations .. ??

BigDog.
    Participant

EDITED BY MODERATOR – A BA pilot committing alleged sex offences against children has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

MS, it makes sense to train on the 737 as there will be some need for pilots on this fleet for a couple of years yet. I’d imagine it’s useful to have a few years on the 737 before transferring to the 777 or 787.

BA *is* getting rid of its 737 fleet, replacing it with A320 family aircraft from Heathrow.

I’m not certain how many have already departed in the past six months, but it’s more than 3.

In total BA will have 15 A319s at LGW by 2017 and 15 A320s by 2017, most of which will be ex-bmi aircraft.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls