BA versus SWISS : A surprising result

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

• HenryO’Higgins
    Participant

As a regular traveller betweeen LHR/LCY and ZRH, I was interested to read the OP’s selective comparison until I got to this: ‘BA offer silver members access to the Sky view lounge in Terminal E in Zurich.’ Nonsense, of course. The DNATA SkyView lounge is in the main A/B building. The lounge at the E gates that BA use is the Panorama Lounge, the very same lounge that SWISS offers from the E gates.

In view of the inaccuracy, I didn’t read much further. FWIW, I too find the AVROs rubbish, and thought so when BA used them from LCY. BA replaced theirs earlier than SWISS and I look forward to the SWISS replacements. SWISS cabin crew and cabin service are generally more impressive than BA’s.

I generally fly in economy and only occasionally in business. FWIW, I have only been addressed by name on SWISS.

SwissExPat
    Participant

@LP…. Agreed… It is impossible to boycott all of them.

I can afford to Boycott Ryanair and have done so for 12 years now, but I understand I am not alone in that regard.

@ Mr Higgins…. Apologies for mixing up the name of the lounge… The Dnata lounge in the main terminal is actually the skyview lounge and indeed the Panorama is in E….although all swiss short haul pax would use the main lounge in terminal A/B/D… Aside for this I have had no other correction on the accuracy of the initial comparison so I’d suggest your non reading of it is your loss.

@ henkel …In respect of the seat bumping incident, I have now made a formal complaint to SWISS, the first to them ever in over 5 years of 40 sectors per years of flying with them….. This is (as you might put it) my “moving on” and I thank you for your most helpful advice.

I posted the seat bumping issue here as a courtesy to my friend LP who asked what happened. It probably belongs on a separate thread. SWISS are soften held up on this forum as some model of Consistency and hence it is important to report incidents whe this fails, and in this case, miserably.

Ths original idea of the post was to compare 2 big carriers on what is a as close to a head to head basis as is possible and also on the basis of what would be the most likely situation for readers here I.e. most would be at least sove version of A frequent traveller I.e silver or equivalent. My conclusion was surprising since BA was a clear winner and not what I initially expected. Nobody seems to significantly disagree.

I so hope SWISS read some of this so that they can see that they have fallen behind in so many categories, not by much, but still in almost all areas on a straight head to head basis as compared to BA on the London route.

Senator
    Participant

My very personal view of things with Swiss currently is that despite the best intentions of allowing full autonomy for this excellent carrier within the group, the persistent challenges of the mother-ship across the border is impacting Swiss in many ways.

I find it difficult to agree that Lufthansa is the “Premium” carrier within the group when it has a smaller, nibbler Swiss available. The Lufthansa First experience end-to-end is world class, but the rest of it provides no leadership, only a very late adopter.

HenryO’Higgins
    Participant

You said: ‘Aside for this I have had no other correction on the accuracy of the initial comparison so I’d suggest your non reading of it is your loss.’

Don’t be silly.

I read your post and chose not to comment on the other inaccuracies as others have already done so.

JohnHarper
    Participant

If there is an overall leader in the LH group, it is Swiss. Yes, LH F is good and the lounges are probably better than the LX lounge at ZRH and of course nothing beats the F terminal at FRA. LX F especially on the A330 is also excellent and in C LX win hands down. LH new C is a disaster and should be modified radically before being rolled out any further.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“You make a good point Wasborn, but if I boycotted every airline that had not met my expectations or given bad service, I’d have to walk or swim to get anywhere ;-)”

Ain’t that the truth!

Raptor74
    Participant

Dears
    EWR – ZRH operations. A/C = SWISS! Crew = EDW

KSHaggag
    Participant

Nothing compares to Swiss consistency in services across the network .I do agree the Avro is not the best aircraft to be on but this will soon change .
    Longhaul on Swiss is a pleasurable experience by all standards .

SwissExPat
    Participant

@ Mr 0’Higgns….

For someone who is making your your first ever forum posts on this thread, you certainly are throwing your weight around but I defend your right to make your comments.

You claim that there are inaccuracies that you won’t comment on because, as you say, “others have already done so”

I you can find any posters to date who have contradicted my observations on my initial post, I will gladly make a £10 charitable donation to the British Red Cross for each and every contradiction made.

If you cannot… I expect you to to take the honourable course of action.

HenryO’Higgins
    Participant

‘Throwing your weight around’? Pot? Kettle? Black?

The honourable thing is to reject such personal invitations. I have better things to do, and I suggest you have too.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seems the market is mirroring customer sentiment with IAG shares up almost 3% so far this week to 270p:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=IAG.L

SwissExPat
    Participant

@ VK …. Yes the improvement in price has not gone unnoticed…. I am still considering my holding but the Stg 200 I saved on my recent booking suggests that I’ll probably keep my holding… Also my Aer Lingus small holding is performing well…

Am very excited with being on BA01 next week…hoping it will be as nice as the no longer offered SWISS Privat Air flight to EWR…. Althought it won’t alas be as fast as my last time on BA 01.. Pre clearence in SNN will be useful.

@ Mr o Higgins…… Can I suggest that if you want to contribute to this forum, you look to add your experiences for the general benefit of forum members so that they can benefit from your experiences? And that you can benefit from theirs?

I am sure you have a lot to contribute so I look forward to learning of your travels.

Alkaseltzer
    Participant

As infrequent traveller, may I ask:-

Why no advance seat? Maybe bought economy, expecting upgrade?

If there is any big difference in delays,that is a factor. I used to use BA a lot. Have I been very unlucky in finding them the most delayed of all?

NNoah16
    Participant

Senator on SWISS

Love their First Product, it is excellent.

SWISS have now reduced their Business class points making it more diffiicult to reach Senator

Hate the fact its a long walk in T1

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hello NNoah16,

Right you are about their First and also Business Class products ,it beats the others head and shoulders above the pack and this is just too natural and typical of a Product made in Switzerland .Star Alliance is becoming huge and the chances to accrue 100K status miles are becoming numerous ,moreover they know that their alliance members e,g, Swiss,Lufthansa,Singapore,ANA,and others are offering great premium products so consequently this should come at a price .I personally am still wondering how there are fliers out there who can still clock up 600K HON Circle miles in 2 consecutive calendar years and only in First and Business …do such people ever sleep at home .????!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls