Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• CBaker2
    Participant

Have only flown Virgin Upper Class about a year ago (from Washington) – it had the worst flight crew we have ever had (though the beds were good) and, for the first time in many years of business class travelling, I wrote a letter of complaint. Eat what you want when you want !!!!!!! I thought the idea of the small seat at the end is that 2 people can eat together – I had reached the coffee stage when my husband was served his starter. We filled in what we wanted for breakfast, this was not served to us – we were told to sit up at the bar. My letter of complaint was answered by a wishy washy “All our crews are wonderful” letter. We shall continue to fly BA (or anything other than Virgin).

wishee71
    Participant

The last two posts have illustrated the seemingly partisan feelings towards the two. I will now share my experience on the last flight that summed up BA staff attitude for me. I fly regularly and perhaps the novelty has worn off, I do however use the flight to unwind and have a no work policy where and when possible. Anyhow, seated across from me was an elderly lady, (who I know from a brief conversation was flying for only the second time in her life to see her son who was now living in London) in any event she was having difficulty with the entertainment unit and requested help. She also required help with the seat functions and had a few questions in general. The staff treated her as if she was an inconvenience, absolutely shocking and least they forget that for some people flying is still a real treat.

Once again, in my personal opinion the VS staff are always more enthusiastic and helpful.

LondonGuy
    Participant

I have recently flown both VS and BA (both in economy mind!) – VS to Nairobi and BA to Bangalore.

The VS plane was one of their oldest – no on demand entertainment, the seats didn’t even have the adjustable head rest (thank god for my travel pillow)! However the crew really good!

There were 2 of us travelling (both vegetarian). We’d only ordered one veg meal and requested a second one – both of us got one. And whilst the crew was serving the meals, I noticed that there was a veg pasta option and thought I’d be cheeky and ask for that instead. To my surprise, I got it!

With BA to Bangalore (747-400), they had the on demand entertainment, library of film, comfy, head-rest adjustable seats and all, but the crew wasn’t the friendliest that I have ever come across. Quite rude, very loud, almost obnoxious! Food requests were ignored – there were a couple of passengers who wanted a veg option and were told to go hungry (but in a nicer way!).

If I could, I’d fly VS Upper Class and Premium Economy any day over BA’s Premium Economy and Business Class. As a travel agent in a very commercial area, most of my clients fly business class and so I get quite a lot of feedback regarding their various trips. Concensus is that VS far outranks BA in the same class. With Economy, its a little more hit and miss. Virgin has a few older planes where as BA has updated almost their whole fleet so there are still a couple of gaps with VS.

Kentflyer
    Participant

To add to this lengthy discussion… I too have recently flown with BA Club and VS Upper class. I am not sure if any of you have travelled with VS quite a few years ago in Upper, but from the moment you stepped on board till you got off it was a great flight. Now VS (like BA too) is run by accountants and I find the Upper Class service very poor to what it used to be. The bar ran dry, and gone are the days of snacks, snadwiches etc laid out on the bar and just one scone and one pot of cream for afternoon tea is a joke.. On a flight to SFO they ran out of tonnes of food and offered me an economy meal !! Why would I pay about GBP5000.00 to have an economy meal !!!. The Freedom menu is what the food used to be like in Economy 10 years ago. its nice but very small portions and choice. The staff spent most of the time chatting and eating the snacks for the travellers. Gone too are the days of a great amenity kit. its now a shoe bag with a few bits. Even on day flights its hard to get a sleeper suit, extra pillow. The Clubhouse at LHR is out of this world and need to be to balance the cost cutting on board. I doubt if the Galleries with BA will ever compare due to the fact that BA carry a whole lot more club travellers a day compated to VS. All in all the service on BA is much better and even though they do slip sometimes, its a lot more consistant than VS.

claredankj
    Participant

dear wishee71 08.12.2008
    i totally agree with you !!!

claredankj
    Participant

i flew 1st to vancouver just after T5 opened and it was wonderful as was the 1st class lounge
    but i have to say my favourite is still virgin from gatwick and heathrow
    in sept i flew business to malta with BA and the lounge was being redecorated and what was there service, food, magazines etc was very poor and BA seems to make you feel like you should be gratful for being there not like virgin who are always so welcoming

LondonGuy
    Participant

Hi Claredankj,

I’ve noticed that you travel in First (BA) and Upper Class (VS) and I was wondering if you’ve got any up and coming trips, please ask me to have a look at an itinerary for you.

If you have a look at the Low Price Challenge discussion, I have been able to save quite a few people in the region of £1000 and would like to do the same for yourself.

The worst I can do is match the price that you are getting elsewhere – so please do try me out and see for yourself.

Thanks again!

Waddsey1
    Participant

I agree that there are plus and minus points about both BA and Virgin. Having travelled in BA First, BA Club World and Virgin Upper Class I can speak from experience and I’m happy to say that each is a great product. If I had to make a choice of the three I would opt for BA First but simply because I found that to be the best of the three.
    I am yet to encounter unhelpful staff on either of the premium brand services. I’ve always found BA and Virgin to be excellent where First, Club and Upper Class are concerned……World Traveller, however, is another thing….

James
    Participant

There are quite a few comments about BA 1st. Virgin UC isn’t first class – it is a club class offering. Recent experiences on Virign UC to Nairobi and Cape Town were the poor IFE on one of the old 340’s, but great service. To Cape Town on the 340-600, it was packed and yet again service was very good. However, food on both flights was very average. BA new club to Bahrain also packed. Excellent service and good food offering.
    The big difference for me is that the Virgin UC seat is superior. BA have effectively squeezed in 8 across instead of 7 and it feels like it!
    Virgin T3 lounge is superb – as is their check-in and security set-up.
    It usually comes don to schedule and price for me, but given a choice, I think Virgin UC is better than BA Club.

Simonnn
    Participant

I prefer to travel BA Club to Virgin UC because the seat is able to be adjusted to a larger range of positions. I am more comfortable if the seat is not quite flat. I prefer the look of the Virgin UC cabins but the seat comfort is the key for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls