BA: unable to check in?! London City Protests – Black Lives Matter

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Cloud-9
    Participant

Having been denied through check-in multiple times in the last few months, I must admit to a warm feeling of schadenfreude upon hearing that BA is currently experiencing a computer glitch due it being unable to check passengers in…..

Even BA1 is at LGW??

openfly
    Participant

The BA JFK to LCY diverted to LGW due to environmental protesters in the airside area. LCY closed at the moment.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The check-in problems have been mentioned on earlier threads in the context of the widespread delays that were caused

First Class VIP Treatment

but seem to have resurfaced once again, though BA is saying all problems are now over

Summary
    After IT issues with check-in at a number of airports this morning, we are now checking in customers at London Heathrow and Gatwick Airport as normal.

More information
    Check in may take a bit longer than usual, so we would encourage customers to check in online before they reach the airport.

We are sorry for the delay to our customers’ journeys.”

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=5572&source=hp_disruption_banner

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I find it amazing that i have only found out about LCY closure due to my calling. Now stuck at TXL trying to re book. Not one announcement.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

After being told by TXL airport info and BA in Bremen… who did change my ticket, that the LCY flight was cancelled… it is now back on and hopefully my ticket changed back.

Appalling communications by BA, but on the basis there is not much else to do at TXL, it has passed the time awa..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=757143]After being told by TXL airport info and BA in Bremen… who did change my ticket, that the LCY flight was cancelled… it is now back on and hopefully my ticket changed back.

Appalling communications by BA, but on the basis there is not much else to do at TXL, it has passed the time away.

EDIT

Just read on sky news the met police are at the airport ‘NEGOTIATING’ with the protestors…..W T F (that will be the closest I get to swearing…..)

http://news.sky.com/story/london-city-flights-delayed-after-runway-protest-10566897

[/quote]

JohnHarper
    Participant

Clearly the IT problems reported during the summer have not been resolved or maybe BA used a small elastoplast to cover an arterial bleed and it’s proved inadequate. That a world wide airline could introduce such buggy software tells a story about what matters to them. I wonder if like their LGW A320 fleet they bought it on ebay.

Still, as long as the profits are coming in short term what does it all matter if a few passengers are inconvenienced and there are a few poor headlines. Maybe like O’Leary they now believe there is no such thing as bad publicity, not a sentiment I would agree with.

ABBA.

canucklad
    Participant

Did I not read somewhere, possibly on here…that BA outsourced their IT operation to India ?
    My perception is that the increasing amount of problems BA are experiencing are linked ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My wonderful stay at TXL continues..

We have an aeroplane… according to BA…

According to flight stats….LCY is now open….

Flight stats also showed my flight has a 1 hour 50 delay…. which the ground staff did not announce until some of the natives became restless.

So I have treated myself to some red wine….. and been given a paper cup to drink it….. nearly as bad as not having a radio in the showers….

Just one of those days…..

RichardBarr
    Participant

Regarding the two subjects:

1. BA might do well to return to the old system, if that’s remotely possible. The new I.T. system obviously needs more QA testing & fixing.

2. The protesters at LCY should be prosecuted and at a minimum forced to pay all (and I mean ALL) costs involved with the damage they cause, including passengers, airlines, employees, emergency personnel and anyone else affected.

canucklad
    Participant

What concerns me most, is that these nutters were able to access such a high risk area of the airport.Imagine if they were true nutters wanting to do us harm

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The Heathrow runway protesters only got community service.. so if the short term past is concerned these nutters will only get a ‘slap on the wrist’.

As concerning though is why it takes the police over 6 hours to remove them..

Pity the police don’t take quicker action like the USA police who grabbed the protester climbing Trump Tower recently.

Still on the ground at TXL. Waiting for the second bus and bizarrely additional fuel. It’s not as if the pilots had much to do for the past 2 hours!!

DerekVH
    Participant

Travelling from SFO to LHR on Monday afternoon there were around 20 of us in the lounge thinking it was very quiet for an A380 service. An announcement was made by the lounge receptionist that BA’s check-in system had crashed world wide and attempts to bring it back up had failed. It transpires there were 260+ passengers stuck at check in having queued for more than two hours before it was agreed to start a manual check in process. Looking on twitter this was happening at several other USA airports. The result of this was that our flight left 4.5 hours late. I would not like to be the individual responsible for this new system as they obviously do not have adequate backup systems in place.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Clearly not a serious enough offence to be remanded in custody.

http://news.sky.com/story/nine-charged-over-black-lives-matter-london-city-airport-protest-10568752

penfold69
    Participant

Apologies for the off topic post, but I’m not sure how to start a new thread.

Is anyone aware of Air Traffic Restrictions tomorrow over the UK? I’ve just had a flight from EDI/LCY cancelled tomorrow morning and the reason is “We’re very sorry, this flight has been cancelled due to air traffic restrictions.”

I’m unaware of any restrictions due to strikes etc and wondered if this was just a standard response so they can pass blame, although I don’t think EU261 even covers this flight as it might be too short.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls