BA turning into Low Cost with “Buy On Board”

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

In the med, we call it passion and it is quite normal to say what you think.

PS: You need to buy a copy of ‘Psychology for Dummies’ and swot up on the subject, before you start assessing anger.

Delsurrey
    Participant

Digusted, apologies if you feel my comment was not quite on the correct thread, my point was that by using BA as opposed to a ‘low cost’ alternative allows me to build up my BA miles which I otherwise would not have!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Delsurrey

No apologies needed, we both have our opinions!

I can see your point about building miles, you get nothing with most locos.

Adey999
    Participant

Hi

First time post but where has this info come from? I really think if this is the case it would be a step backwards for BA. Locally if you speak to anyone they know drinks and snacks are included and really value this extra (however small in reality)

You only have to walk around LGW to see all the high visability adverts comparing LCC with BA, if it was to happen I think the only way would be for a new brand to be created.

From other forums it seems there will be more expansion of service rather than reducing to BOB.

Daytripper
    Participant

Frankly, comparing BA with low costs like Vueling is non-sensical. They don’t fly any of the same routes. The only useful comparison is with Easyjet and Ryanair who cover a number of the same routings.

Whilst BA retain numbered seating (forever, I’d imagine) and the other two go for ‘free seating’, the experience on BA short haul economy will always be infinitely better. No unseemly scrum at the boarding gate, no racing from the bus at airports with ‘bussed’ gates, no being separated from loved ones (unless you park yourself at the gate a ludicrous one hour early.)

Once you add-in Ryanair’s and Easyjet’s fees, there is often little or no difference in the fares when compared to BA.

If anyone honestly tells me that they prefer the free seating mayhem to save a few pennies, they clearly need their head examined.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

When I saw this thread, I thought BA were turning the clock back to the Laker days when you paid for your ticket while flying over the Atlantic. No such luck!

Have to agree with you Daytripper, I have never used Ryanair or Easyjet and hopefully never will.

I feel you get what you pay for. If you want to pay little, are you really bothered about a free sandwich or drink on a flight of say 90 minutes – and you can always take your own with you. On the other hand if you want to be well fed and watered with more space pay the extra and go Business.

VintageKrug
    Participant

To be very clear, we have only (informed) speculation to go on at the moment; and no confirmation of the form any Buy on Board offering will take.

It won’t affect longhaul, it won’t affect Club Europe, and it is unlikely to affect non Gatwick services.

BoB should represent an increase in passenger choice, not a decrease, while at the same time keeping fares competitive.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Daytripper

Why not mention Vueling’s innovative approach?

As to siitting together, if one of the party does not have status on BAEC, you either pay for seats or take a chance of a block being available at -24. I don’t notice that featuring much in the ad campaign.

I don’t often fly easyJet or Ryanair, but when I do, there is no scrum, simply an orderly boarding process that allows one to get on first.

Do I prefer this? Of course not, I like the Vueling model where I can buy an allocated duo seat for 40€ and have the middle one free, as well as sitting at the front of the aircraft.

VK

“BoB should represent an increase in passenger choice, not a decrease, while at the same time keeping fares competitive.

I seem to remember such words being spoken when BACON was launched.

stevescoots
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

watch it all the way thru 🙂

Daytripper
    Participant

If I lived in Spain I’m sure I would appreciate all that Vueling had to offer, but since I don’t, their seating policy is irrelevant to me. Any comparison between them and BA is of no consequence to anybody from the UK.

And, since you mention it, I’ve travelled with Easyjet over 200 times and Ryanair at least 50 times. Comparing their boarding policy with that of BA simply does not stand up to scrutiny. You appear to be someone who enjoys arguing for argument’s sake. I hope you enjoy boycotting BA, if cutting off your nose to spite your face is what makes you tick.

stevescoots
    Participant

provided the cost is not too much higher than the low costs i dont see a problem with the BA policy

I have flown and continue to fly sleazy in Europe, ryan air I have only ever done 3 times, last time 4 years ago and never will do again for all the obvious reasons

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Daytripper

Thanks for the insult, I replied quite civily to you.

“Any comparison between them and BA is of no consequence to anybody from the UK.” Another case of ‘fog in the channel, Europe isolated?” Of course, I have never seen British people on Vueling, have I? No, must have dreamt that.

Where did you get the idea that I boycott BA? I hold a gold card and am a frequent user of the airline, perhaps I am not as brainwashed as you to ‘BA must always be best’ and apply a critical eye to all airlines I use.

My point it this, BA runs an advertising campaign where it selectively attacks low cost airlines, fair enough, it is a marketing gambit.

But if one really analyses the differences, there is not as much clear blue water as these ads would have one believe.

The reality is that fares are not too dissimilar (apart from Ryanair, when bought well forward, which is truly cheap in every sense) and that is a reflection of the relatively small difference in service delivery, for most pax.

If one is a member of BAEC, then travelling eurotraveller becomes more attractive than loco, but if not, one has to pay for lounge access and seat pre-allocation (if required.)

If you have a preference for BA over locos, then good for you, it’s called free choice.

As you have flown over 250 times on low cost airlines, I clearly don’t scrape the bottom of the barrel as much as you, but I repeat, when I have used them , the boarding process has been orderly. I have just used Ryanair for three return trips to Madrid, from Malta and the boarding process was fine, well marshalled by the gate agents at both ends on all six flights.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have a departure airport and a destination airport. If the flight is less than 2 hours or so, it really doesnt matter which airlines I use as long as I have a decent seat and I am not squashed in………..oh and of course the price is decent. BA / BMY / SWISS / EASY / LH I dont really mind as long as its not Ryan Air who as a company, we have banned and will not use.

Thee only issue about LCC (for me and my collegues) is:

1. parking at LCT, away from the main international terminal

2. the LCC giving the impression they are landing at a city airport when in fact its ANOTHER city to the one you are going to.

Apart from that close your eyes and you hardly notice the difference. If you want a drink, there are loads of shops pre boarding, unless you are after alcohol.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Great summary.

Binman62
    Participant

I agree with Martyn’s summary also. For that reason if this proposal is true then it would be a huge mistake for BA.

And the idea that, having to pay for refreshments tomorrow that you had free today as somehow improving consumer choice, is barking mad. It does not, it adds cost to the consumer, pure and simple.

The coffee will not improve because you are paying for it and the wine will be same. Nor will BA’s Fees and charges regime be altered nor their ludicrous credit card fee when using a BA branded card.

Moreover, are we now to see to separate products on the London Glasgow route for example, with passengers paying for drinks to Heathrow but not Gatwick? (Though given BA monopoly on that particular route I would not be surprised to see Heathrow going the same way) BMI failed domestically because it had a very poor and utterly confusing product in the air. I cannot believe that BA will not have taken note of this.

VK defence of BA by describing it as a high value carrier is laughable for European travel and that includes the utterly appalling CE product, especially over 2.5 hours. It may be on a par with LH or others, but in Europe airlines have tackled by LCC with a flight from quality and a rush to the bottom across the whole product range.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘BA turning into Low Cost with “Buy On Board”’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls