BA turning into Low Cost with “Buy On Board”

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

More like Aer Lingus MK 2 !

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think you are spot on robsmith.

It’s a very exciting development, and with Silla Maizey appointed as the new BA MD for Gatwick, it does seem that BA is now fighting back against the growing dominance of Easyjet for leisure travellers.

The “HIgh Value Flying” Campaign is very effective, I think.

silvertray
    Participant

…All that has been said is that they are looking at a ‘Buy on Board’ option…This would be, at the moment, in addition to the current service.

We are constantly asked by our customers if we sell anything else other then what we have. So I don’t think we have turned into charter just yet!

Having said that, they have said, they are looking at taking our low cost rivals “Head on”…So this could eventually mean the removal of Club Europe and selling everything as I doubt BA are going to make serious money selling a few pretzels!

Ultimately it will be down to our Customers to decide!

Cheaper tickets and ‘Buy on Board’ or keep things the way they are and find alternatives to making Short Haul profitable.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“There are still differentiators between BA’s “High Value” offering and a true “Low Cost/Lower Value” operation.”

I would be interested in a list of these….

travelworld
    Participant

1. Through checked tcketing and baggage
    2. Frequent flyer programme with lounge access
    3. Allocated seats
    4. Free baggage allowance
    5 Fewer charges for “options” that in fact aren’t options at all (eg printed boarding pass)
    6. Free drinks
    7. Generally, less likelty to leavetyou in the lurch when something goes wrong (agreed that is not always the case)
    8. Free drinks, food and entertainment on long haul
    That’s for starters….

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s a bit pointless providing a list as Disgusted will just rubbish all of them and say how he doesn’t value the differentiation, and that the loss making €50m bail-out subsidised Air Malta does a far better job with its extensive fleet of 11 A319/A320s.

There are many, many advantages to flying BA, but for others the lower cost “tag” of Easyjet et al. is also attractive, and for some situations an LCC stacks up. I’ve tried Easyjet and enjoyed my experience, helped with Priority Pass lounge access at both ends, travelling solo and not having hold luggage.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/value-calculator/

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

You’ll have to do better than that…

1. Through checked tcketing and baggage – irrelevant for point to point travel

2. Frequent flyer programme with lounge access – onlly relevant if you have status in the programme, anyway Airport Angel offers unlimited access for £250 ps

3. Allocated seats – so do Vueling, Air Berlin, German Wings etc. With tohers, priority boarding is available for a small fee.

4. Free baggage allowance – you pay for it, even if you do not need it. With low cost airlines, it is optional and hand baggage is often enough for weekends away, etc

5 Fewer charges for “options” that in fact aren’t options at all (eg printed boarding pass) – only one airline charges for boarding passes (and it is a disgrace, IMHO), easyJet, Vueling, Air Berlin etc do not, so a very weak point as BA do not compete on many routes with FR

6. Free drinks – fair point, but 3€ for water or 5€ for wine is hardly going to break the bank

7. Generally, less likelty to leavetyou in the lurch when something goes wrong (agreed that is not always the case)

My experience with easyJet and BA suggests the reverse

8. Free drinks, food and entertainment on long haul – probably nearly irrelevant in the case of LGW

Now for some differences the other way

1. Low cost airlines tend to do name changes (for a fee), BA does not

2. Low cost airlines have easy changes (for a fee)

3. easyJet will put you on the next flight, if you arrive early and there is a spare seat

4. If you miss a flight, so long as you arrive at the airport within 2 hours, easyJet will ‘rescue’ you for less than £50

5. You’ll fly on a newish aircraft, with BA it may be a real old banger

6. No fuel surcharge on low costs

Not such a clear difference, IMHO

NTarrant
    Participant

Buy on board in economy, would be an added value to the free bar/tea/coffee service. But getting ride of CE would be a backward step even on a limited number of routes

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Nice to see you back here, Vintage Krug, from your spanking by Chuchinchow on PPrune.

Perhaps you will be spending a little more time here, now that CCC has demonstrated that you are a cut and paste merchant.

Air Malta does provide a better product in Club, than BA does in Club Europe, that is a fact.

Now, what about the £1bn ‘gift’ that was Concorde? How much did BA make from that?

And does BA have to compete with airlines who are subsidised by BAA to fly into Heathrow?

Didnt think so, so your smearing is pathetic.

PS: 5 A319 and 7 A320 = 12, not 11. http://www.airmalta.com/fleet

Best get your facts right?

batraveller2
    Participant

Disgusted – Whilst I do not always agree with VintageKrug’s comments, I think your comment above is unfair and rude. Whilst if BA do start charging for everything, I would likely consider other airlines rather than pay a premium if I have no hold luggage or connections, there is still the benefit of the lounges which VK previously pointed out. Where as I would always go BA at present (even at a higher cost), if charges start creeping in I would maybe consider alternatives. In any case most of my flights are from LHR and the superb BA lounge complex is a big attraction.

VintageKrug
    Participant

So predictable….

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

batraveller2

My comment to VK is perhaps rude, but then again I am only returing in the spirit of his post to me. On the other hand, compared to the pasting he got on PPrune, not so bad. I have not said he has zero emotional intelligence, for example.

If it works for you, great, I do like BA Club World, think it is competitive and use it regularly, I just don’t rate CE these days, although euro traveller is pretty good vfm, just not as far away from the better locos as the ad campaign may suggest.

Having said that, I find the ‘High Value’ ad campaign highly selective, for some of the reasons I pointed out in my earlier post
    Some of the locos, e.g. Vueling, have innovative offers, such as their duo product (basically you buy two seats in row 1-3 for an extra 40€), which is effectively a ‘poor man’s’ business class and is fab value.

On the subject of lounges, if you have status and particularly if you use T5, then they are excellent.

Otherwise, Airport Angel is your friend.

And VK, yes, a lot of my comments are predictable, becasue they are fair comment.

I judge BA on experience and do not look through rose tinted glasses, like you.

Delsurrey
    Participant

2. Frequent flyer programme with lounge access – onlly relevant if you have status in the programme, anyway Airport Angel offers unlimited access for £250 ps

Nonsense, I hold no status with BA (well a Blue card ) and have just returned from a wonderful trip in First Class to Barbados courtesy of the BA Exec Club and BA Miles and the Amex companion voucher.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Delsurrey

I’m pleased you had a good trip, but don’t you think that comparing a redemption/Amex flight in First has little relation to the comparison of ‘BA ‘high value’ to ‘low cost’ alternatives?

If one is going to do this sort of travel, then BA is obviously a no brainer, but it is hardly the thrust of the BA ad campaign that VK references and therefore I have to question the validity of your assertion.

If looking at like for like paid journeys on BA v Loco, must people will likely not have lounge access as a privilege, although it can be purchased in several ways, or by holding a Diners card.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Golly, a lot of anger there, Disgusted.,..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘BA turning into Low Cost with “Buy On Board”’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls