BA turning into Low Cost with “Buy On Board”

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

• Anonymous

NewBAexec
    Participant

BA will be introducing a buy on board system across its Gatwick fleet.

So BA is going from being Premium to Low cost?!!

I must say I was not expecting this one to happen. I always thought BA would stay as a full service airline but obviously not. Very disappointing!

After Aer Lingus, now it’s time for BA!

Hippocampus
    Participant

What’s your source for this?

batraveller2
    Participant

If this is the case and as a gold card holder, it will be goodbye ba from me!

VintageKrug
    Participant

For those travelling in economy, I would imagine this will increase choice, while helping keep fares low.

This is especially important for leisure travellers especially prevalent at Gatwick, with the ever present threat of competition from the LCCs.

There are still differentiators between BA’s “High Value” offering and a true “Low Cost/Lower Value” operation.

I still hope the drinks remain free, as well as breakfast, and that this will provide a limited range of sandwiches on board for purchase for those who haven’t had an opportunity to eat on the ground.

Pleased to see this development.

batraveller2
    Participant

There will be little to differentiate between easyjet and ba if this is the case! No point in being a gold card harder if use LGW flights as next it will be LHR.

Hippocampus
    Participant

I would wait for formal confirmation of the exact details before jumping to any conclusions.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed batraveller2, we have no confirmation this will happen, nor the form it will take.

No evidence whatsoever this will affect LHR, which is completely different market and demographic, nor is there any mention of it affecting premium cabins, though I can see some of the CE cabins being dropped exLGW in the near future.

The historical reduction in catering for those flying eurotraveller means having access to the plentiful snacks and at seat food service in the F lounge makes having a Gold Card even more useful.

Daytripper
    Participant

As long as drinks remain free, I think that an increase in ‘buy on board’ catering in BA short haul economy will improve the experience.

What is currently offered (outside breakfast time) barely touches the edges of one’s appetite (tiny packets of biscuits, snack mix etc.)

DClinPsy
    Participant

I was hopping that Iberia the one who follow BA, not the other way round. But well, as long as the drinks are free and the baggage allowances stay the same its still good i guess….

Swindoneric
    Participant

I quite often take late evening flights out of LGW and would definitely welcome the choice of buying something rather than having a packet of nuts or a biccie. Only problem is that I suspect that paying for drinks would also follow – if not immediately, then later. I still like BA ex LGW – take the late evening Edinburgh flight regularly and it still seems to be the friendliest airport around.

Travellator
    Participant

The end of CE would however put a different dimension on it !

All EZY would need to do would be to allow pre flight seat allocation and we achieve level par !

VintageKrug
    Participant

Oh, please! *rolls eyes*

To be very clear, there’s no announcement about the removal of CE.

But it has been mooted for some time now, and if it did happen it would only be on some targetted routes, and very unlikley to affect LHR.

Even in economy, BA offers many valuable benefits over and above those offered by LCCs.

Travellator
    Participant

Your quote:
    though I can see some of the CE cabins being dropped exLGW in the near future

robsmith100
    Participant

I wonder if this is the first step / test phase of launching “Go – Fly” Mk 2?

any thoughts on this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘BA turning into Low Cost with “Buy On Board”’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls