BA trialing not cleaning cabins – yes really!

Back to Forum

This topic contains 29 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  RHMAngel 20 Mar 2019
at 20:10

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• JJ
    Participant

From a union memo – taken from an article on inside flyer

“It has been brought to our attention that British Airways have begun a trial whereby there will be no cleaning completed in the cabin during turnarounds…The company has confirmed that this trial is being carried out in response to improving turnaround performance for customers and will focus particularly on reducing delays during times of disruption.”

Union advice – It is absolutely imperative that crew DO NOT do any cleaning of seat pockets, crossing seatbelts etc,”

Article said the trial would be on some european and domestic flights

frustratedflyer
    Participant

After a few recent long haul flights where I end up cleaning the seat and tray table I could almost believe that the trail has started!!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Looks like being an even bigger trial for the passengers

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Presumably this only applies to short turnarounds on short haul routes.

One of the reasons I avoid BA is because of the often scruffy state of the cabins.

JETHROTULL55
    Participant

I flew Club from CPT to LHR a few days ago. The cabin was dirty. Table top was sticky, used earplugs on the floor and crumbs on the seat. The 747 sat idle on tarmac for approximately 7 hours from arrival so no excuse for a tight turnaround! Disappointing.

Tramor01
    Participant

So, potentially yet another BA “service enhancement” to look forward to 😉

rferguson
    Participant

This trial is happening in DUB only.

The cabin crew are being asked to collect rubbish in as usual on decent and the results will be ‘monitored’.

openfly
    Participant

I thought that they had been trialling this for years!

Mind you, it’s not all bad news as I got 10,000 Avios for the pile of vomit that I discovered beside my upper deck window seat on the 747 recently…from the previous flight!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

trial completed long long time ago – now more or less fully implemented…

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Quiet clearly a serious case of “sweeping things under the carpet”.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

On a less humorous note doesn´t anyone at BA think these things through? Can you imagine going into a reputable restaurant and your table is still cluttered with the previous diners meal only to be told by the waiter “It means by not clearing tables we can serve meals quicker”.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

On a less humorous note doesn´t anyone at BA think these things through? Can you imagine going into a reputable restaurant and your table is still cluttered with the previous diners meal only to be told by the waiter “It means by not clearing tables we can serve meals quicker”.

On a short haul flight from London they are competing with Ryanair, Flybe and easyJet who already operate the same business model. The reputable restaurant analogy is not appropriate. Think McD or Burger King where, I am informed, you pile your own trays, similar to passing everything to the aisle.

capetonianm
    Participant

Competing with easyJet?
    Sorry but easyJet are better than BA economy.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

captonianm – sorry, in what way? Their short-haul models are very similar at point of delivery and BA offer regular travellers distinct advantages which EZY are not able to replicate. Price-wise there is little difference, btw. My regular point of comparison is GLA – LGW where they compete and price differences are usually a matter of pennies not pounds.

openfly
    Participant

Apart from the prospect of “dirty” aircraft, on routes where BA and EasyJet go head to head, and for Silvers and Golds, BA wins every time. On most routes BA offers a lounge, with food, alcohol tea/coffee…all complementary… EasyJet doesn’t. BA flights earn Avios….EasyJet has no incentive program. When you have a healthy stock of Avios, food purchase in economy is “free”. BA offers a premium cabin….not on EasyJet. BA fares can be reduced considerably by using Avios…nothing similar on EasyJet. Even if BA fares are slightly higher …EasyJet loses my business.

I really like EasyJet, but they have a long way to go to pass BA with their offerings.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller UK March 2019 edition
Business Traveller UK March 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls