British Airways to trial last minute Avios upgrades at airport.

Back to Forum

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  acanto 12 Jun 2019
at 16:49

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Details are scant but BA is quietly trialling the ability to use Avios to upgrade last minute at the airport.

What is known –

The trial will only take place at LHR T5, between June 3 and 30th, on selected flights (I believe the same flights that offer the ability to upgrade using a flat £ amount), and only on departures Mon-Thu 08:00-21:00.

What isn’t known –

How many Avios you will need to upgrade.

Apparently ‘dynamic’ pricing is being used and where an upgrade in advance via the normal channels could cost 20K, at T5 last minute it could cost 30K, 60K or 80K.

It’s basically just using Avios as an alternative currency to AUP cash upgrades which also vary in GBP depending on availability.

**Personal opinions only**

SimonS1
    Participant

Will it come with the usual BA favourites, you booked too late for us to load a meal and so on?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry to bang the drum for Miles and More, and for that matter Emirates, but you can upgrade anytime (subject to availability of course), and with EK even on the plane itself.

3 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Will it come with the usual BA favourites, you booked too late for us to load a meal and so on?

I wouldn’t imagine so. In REALITY on longhaul anyway we do receive last minute top ups of catering from the caterer. And in CW and First there will always be a surplus of starters, mains and desserts anyway. I can only speak from my experience here but cash AUP upgrades are pretty rare. Maybe one or two a flight. Often none. I mean if we had say ten people use AUP to Club or F on a longhaul flight and received no catering top up, absolutely it would be an issue. But as mentioned the caterers actually stick with the aircraft until the flight is ‘closed’ and bring top ups as necessary.

I think most of the ‘sorry we don’t have a business class meal for you’ happens on short haul and in particular inbound flights to LHR. These are return catered so if you rock up at say IST or ATH two hours before your flight and use AUP then that aircraft is already in the air from LHR on its way to you with its booked load catering. In fairness, the process is now, that where there is the possibility of no meal you should be informed before handing the cash (or avios) over. I do imagine this doesn’t always happen especially as I believe (although I am not certain of this) that staff contractors at outstation airports are in some way rewarded with incentives for selling AUP’s.

**Personal opinions only**

capetonianm
    Participant

I can remember at least 20 years ago upgrading to F on SAA using Star Alliance/LH points.

BA are not exactly in the forefront here, or anywhere for that matter.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

One of the very few good points about TAP is the ability to upgrade at the gate, for very few miles. Ex-Lisbon it ranges up from 5,000 miles within short haul Europe, roughly anything under 3 hours. Returning to LIS is not so easy to use points to upgrade, because of meals, but some airports allow you to sign a waiver.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I understand some (maybe all?) US airlines use dynamic pricing for ordinary redemptions on flight miles. I really hope that doesn’t happen here.

acanto
    Participant

No airline beats EK on this. They have a simple and straight forward process available at any airport, anywhere, or even on board. I certainly don’t trust BA’s management in their attempts to introduce new “benefits” to Executive Club.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AK
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller July / August 2019 edition
Business Traveller July / August 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls