BA to Shanghai

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Hi everyone. I’m considering flying BA to Shanghai.

Do these flights use the 777-300ER or the older 777-200? The website is unclear.

Also, why is it that, given the size of the 2 cities and the size of the market, BA only schedules 1 return flight a day? Is Cathay via HKG that popular?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Alex_Fly –

I believe it’s the B777-200 …but am open to correction.

Don’t forget that VS also serves Shanghai.

Air traffic rights to China are subject to delicate negotiations. There’s no “open skies” like we have within the EU.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Alex_Fly – 22/01/2015 14:40 GMT

And that CX and CA have cross-shareholdings and code-shares between inter alia PEK/ SVG and HKG. Which is why you choose a CA code (frequently it’s somewhat cheaper) on a CX operated service.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

From what I’ve heard, BA don’t specify the exact plane model because it allows them to keep their options open…..

eybusiness
    Participant

777-300

sparkyflier
    Participant

I believe it is usually a 300ER. As Alex said, Virgin also fly there using usually A340-600. Another option is China Eastern who may have the best schedules, using A330.

PhilbLND
    Participant

From my recent experience is 5 out of 6 are the 300ER but there is one mid week that uses 200.

Edit:
    The history forJanuary so far show the 300ER has been used.

conc001
    Participant

Not sure what cabin you are flying but if j consider china eastern it will be cheaper and no need to climb over anyone to reach the aisle.

LucaForna
    Participant

Flew LHR-PVG recently with BA. Got an AMAZING deal during sales (1600 euros return flight VCE-LHR-PVG in J). LHR-PVG was operated by a 772, PVG-LHR by a 773 ER. Pleasant flight.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your useful input.

I had been under the imp[ression that at one stage BA operated 2 services per day to PVG, but I suspect that was not the case.

As for the Air Servces Agreements between UK and China, I can imagine it’s anything but an open skies agreement.

Thanks again to all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls