BA to renew 737 fleet by what aircraft type?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Remember the next order will be from IAG for both the BA and IB fleets.

This also suggests the A320 series will be high on the list of priorities, and I think IB already has an order outstanding which could be used for this…

Either way, expect the 737 to be in service with BA for at least the next 2-3 years and probably a little longer than that before they are all replaced.

I think there was a slide at the Investor Day which set out the fleet plans over the coming years.

You can have a look through this thread (from last year’s) if you’re so inclined:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA-Investor-Day-Presentation-21-May-2010

Potakas
    Participant

The latest info that we have says that the B737s will retire on the Q3-Q4 2013.

Here is the link, page 66

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/IROL/24/240949/IAG_6_May_Presentation.pdf

NewBAexec
    Participant

So I was right then. Well the crew were right. They should all be gone by the end of 2013 and replaced by A320s, which is great news!

Now that IAG is up and running, what I don’t understand is the lack of flights by BA to Madrid or Barcelona from Gatwick?!

Hopefully with the new fleet in place, this would be a possibility.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Be aware these aircraft were originally scheduled to leave the fleet by 2010, so another stay of execution, particularly given the pressures on premium shorthaul, would not be surprising.

Plus the fact that any airbus orders may well go to replace the older A320 fleet at LHR.

There’s lots of factors at play here, and nothing is ever certain!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Almost all of the older A320 fleet – the ones that were ordered by BCAL have already gone, I think there are only two or three left so hardly a significant number. Even if the new ones go to LHR and older A319/320s move to LGW, they will still be a huge improvement on the 737s.

I’ve asked one of my sources and I understand the 737s will go by Q4 of 2013.

RichHI1
    Participant

To newBAexec this was the route I was suggesting. Without going down the dictionary route again, if BA were to cascade the older minibuses to Gatwick to get the new planes on the Heathrow fleet, would these older planes be refreshed, revitalized (anything but refurbished with new carpets) or sent as is?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

A report of two recent incidents with BA’s LGW B737 fleet:

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1148161.php

VintageKrug
    Participant

Passing through Gatwick yesterday, and I understand there has been some greater clarity on the move of some of the airbus shorthaul fleet to Gatwick, and removal of the 737s.

Perhaps BT might like to make some enquiries…?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

A few A319s moved to LGW well over a year ago and the most logical step would be to replace the B737s by A319/A320 family aircraft, assuming BA does not want to reduce seating capacity. This also keeps commonality too with Iberia!!!! See little reason to order new generation B737 aircraft in this light, especially as numbers would be small in comparison to current A319/320/321 fleet.

LPPSKrisflyer – I think I am correct in saying that all the ex BCAL A320s have now been parted out. Can see a similar fate for the B737s as very few airlines want series 400 these days, especially with many second hand 700’s and 800’s on the market.

Perhaps we will see some Vueling A320s moving to LGW?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

It would be good to see easyJet get a bit of stiff competition from Vueling, who are a very good airline.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

Just to remind people that last year with the Iberia down sizing announcement IAG suggested that 15 or so Airbus 320’s would become surplus to requirements. Bar a different engine to the BA fleet there is a lot of commonality. Now whether they are leased or owned outright, I know not, but they would make a sound basis for the B737 replacement given that the IAG combined fleet also has the odd 20 or so on order/option over the next 2/3 years ahead of the A320neo program. But dare I suggest these may be earmarked for Vueling after IAG buys out the other 55% interest.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s an interesting supposition; will these come from BA at LHR or from vueling..?

Or even, perhaps, be new leases?

DontTurnRight
    Participant

BA has just announced they are transferring 5 further A319s to LGW. Guess there could be more to follow.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would imagine all the 737s will be replaced in short order.

Let’s hope this leads to expansion at Gatwick as their costs decrease and reliability improves.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls