BA to renew 737 fleet by what aircraft type?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• NewBAexec
    Participant

@BA319131

My apologies if you felt insulted by my comment about your business, it was meant in a joking way.

Apologies again.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

@BA319131

Refurbish means renovate, which literally means make new.

A refurbished aircraft interior, to me at least, means everything stripped out and replaced with new components, in particular the vile lavs on those old bangers at LGW.

Putting on recycled side panels and swapping some older seats for some younger (used) seats is a bit desperate, to be honest.

BA319131
    Participant

Refurbish means renovate, which literally means make new.
    Quoting DisgustedofSwieqi:-

A refurbished aircraft interior, to me at least, means everything stripped out and replaced with new components, in particular the vile lavs on those old bangers at LGW.

– I don’t disagree, I merely stated I understood the ‘refurbishment’ to be the seats and side panels, I don’t seem to recall stating this was a complete overhaul or complete refurbishment.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

I heard some sort of Embraer aircraft is top of the list, probably then it is in the perfect format for Flybe to take over the routes (as per BA connect)

Just a thought!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

BA319121

I guess we have a different understanding of the word ‘refurbish.’

What BA did here is (to my simple mind) recycling as part of maintenance, which airlines do constantly, whereas you call this refurbishing.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

When the LGW 737 fleet is renewed, the current plan is to replace with A320 series aircraft. The commonality argument and consequent economy of scale supersedes all others and there is a view that the 737s should never have been bought in favour of the A320 anyway.

The source of my information is a very good friend who is a pilot and training captain on the A320 fleet (the number of simulators is being increased) and my nephew who is an engineer at BA on the A320 fleet. NG 737s are not on the shopping list at all but the A320neo family is being looked at as is the A350 which is looking like the long term buy rather than the 787.

If they were cash rich they would ditch the 767s for A330s and there is recognition that this should have been done years ago but at present there is no money to do it so the 767s will stay and be phased out either with the 787 or the A350.

NewBAexec
    Participant

Thank you for sharing PPSKrisflyer.

I’m glad to hear that one of the best option would be the A320. Any mention as of when this replacement might take place?
    As you said about the number of simulators being increased, does that have anything to do with replacing the old 737s with the new A320?

Many thanks.

RichHI1
    Participant

It makes financial and logistical sense for a carrier to opt for one major supplier for efficiency reasons and for BA that would likely be Airbus.This is exactly what American did phasing out their Airbuses.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Sorry, I didn’t ask about time scales, I will at the next opportunity. I believe the increase in simulators is two fold, there is huge pressure on simulator time at moment on the A320 fleet but it is also recognised that there will need to be an increase in capacity for the future.

The other consideration of course is commonality with Iberia who are almost exclusively an Airbus operator and like almost every other European major airline (I don’t count FR in this as their business model has nothing in common with the legacy carriers) have operated the A320 series successfully for years.

RichHI1
    Participant

The exception being KLM and whilst they bought some 320 series planes I do not think SAS have any actual 320’s.

NewBAexec
    Participant

RichHI1

That’s exactly what I was just thinking, you stole my mind! 🙂

Anyhow, new A320 for BA would be very much welcomed by its loyal customers.

NewBAexec
    Participant

PPSKrisflyer

No need to apologise, many thanks for sharing what you know!

Very much appreciated.

RichHI1
    Participant

NewBAexec not stolen but recycled?
    With regard to Airbus – as they say in Toulouse ” à chacun son goût ” one thing we can all agree on though is new planes are much better than old especially when they are in heavy need of renovation/ refurbishment etc.

Senator
    Participant

Dear RichHI1,

SAS does have A320 family aircrafts; A319s and A321s based out of CPH. The Norwegian base in Oslo only operates B737 both NG and older exBU -400 and -500 series. ARN has a mix of B737NG and MD-80s.

SAS recently annouced that it planned to run B737NG from OSL/ARN bases, and A320 family as well as the CR7 from CPH when the MD-80s are retired in the middle of this decade.

I for one, love the SAS MD-80s when flying in business. So an old plane can be as good as a new plane 🙂 if well maintained.

RichHI1
    Participant

Senator, Off topic but I am so glad you commented on the MD80’s. AA have made a big deal about replacing their old MD80’s but I have always loved the DC9/MD80 family and if you are fortunate enough to fly in the front they are in my view the best short haul aircraft. Hawaiian have had some Boeing 717’s now for some time and I love these new versions as well. Cannot fault SAS (only flown them short haul) and particularly their reliability in bad weather when BA had canceled everything, the SAS crew just aimed to get to the airport early and off we went (early morning flights in snow LHR-CPH, LH-ARN)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls