BA to operate three domestic routes with heritage B747s

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Although British Airways has not officially announced this news I can confirm that the three B747s in heritage livery will operate three domestic routes on Sunday August 25.

The routes/flights are:

London Heathrow-Glasgow BA1482 1200-1320
    Glasgow-London Heathrow BA1487 1500-1625

London Heathrow-Manchester BA1386 1010-1120
    Manchester-London Heathrow BA1391 1250-1400

London Heathrow-Newcastle BA1326 0920-1035
    Newcastle-London Heathrow B1327 1240-1400

Ba.com displays the operating aircraft as a B747.

Seats are in high demand. Ticket prices have risen substantially over the past few hours.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Nostalgia comes at a price then!!

pheighdough
    Participant

This is reminiscent of the tour when Concorde announced its retirement. Is there any thoughts on if all 4 cabins would be sold? or would you ‘luck’ a First seat of paying Club, or PE seat for an economy seat?

openfly
    Participant

Club Europe seats are in First and Club World, domestic fares are in Y and WTP. Fares now sky-high….ridiculous prices. Many seats blocked out for guests and staff.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=937334]Fares now sky-high….ridiculous prices.[/quote]

This morning (Sunday) LHR-GLA seats for flight BA1482 are on sale at almost £400 one-way. GLA-LHR is currently priced at £300+ one-way.

In fact all flights on that day for LHR-GLA-LHR are costly and probably more expensive that a return excursion transatlantic B747 flights.

alanred13
    Participant

How do you view these flights? When I go to BA.COM and search flights LHR > GLA on 25/8 I don’t see a 12:00 flight.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=937461]How do you view these flights? When I go to BA.COM and search flights LHR > GLA on 25/8 I don’t see a 12:00 flight.[/quote]

The flight does exist. You will need to request a flexible economy fare.

At the time of writing (12 noon on Sunday) there was availability at £393 o/w. Business class was shown as being “not available.”

capetonianm
    Participant

I suppose this was predictable. They do have a valid point.

John Stewart, the chair of the Heathrow area pressure group Hacan ClearSkies, said: “I can see this stunt backfiring.

“Not a good idea to mark your anniversary by flying what was a famously noisy, dirty plane on a short-haul flight at more than premium prices.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-jumbo-jets-domestic-flights-anniversary-boeing-747-heathrow-manchester-newcastle-a8943031.html?amp

cwoodward
    Participant

I am at something of a loss to understand why anyone would want to spend their weekend flying around the UK on a clapped-out 747 and pay through the nose for the privilege.
    Clever marketing though.

openfly
    Participant

Pure nostalgia and fun…and we got it for £59 return!!

3 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Clearly each to their own openfly.
    I sincerely hope that you enjoy the experience.

capetonianm
    Participant

If I wanted fly on a BA 747, I would consider the money better spent on a flight to somewhere I wanted to go, even if I spent more to achieve that.

It is indeed clever marketing.

canucklad
    Participant

As they say, there’s no such thing as bad publicity : )

[quote quote=938258]Pure nostalgia and fun…and we got it for £59 return!![/quote]

Well done, seems like you’ve managed to get the bargain of the week.

[quote quote=937242]Seats are in high demand. Ticket prices have risen substantially over the past few hours.[/quote]

At these prices I wonder if they’ll replicate BOAC’s legendary inflight service or arouse our nostalgic senses by reproducing the “shuttle” experience ?

On that note, the BA finance guys must be salivating in anticipation , as they imagine a jumbo full of sandwich and G&T sales : )

openfly
    Participant

@CWoodward…it got even better as yesterday we were offered a Club upgrade for £59, when new bookings are £474 single. You can’t take it with you…

@Alex
    …it will be interesting to see how the cabin crew cope with BOB in Y and a meal service, and free bar, in Club….in 40 mins to/from NCL/MAN..😀😀 I reckon the captain will be asked to put the seat belt signs on “due to forecast turbulence”, so no service. Wait and see! Which one are you on?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=938364]it will be interesting to see how the cabin crew cope with BOB in Y and a meal service, and free bar, in Club….in 40 mins to/from NCL/MAN..[/quote]

It’s BA’s 100th birthday.

Surely the airline would be generous enough to provide free catering/drinks to all passengers on this occasion.

If not aloft then maybe in the departure lounge ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls