BA to launch LHR – New Orleans this week?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

The New Orleans Advocate thinks so.

An ‘international carrier’ was due to announce last week of a new route from MSY. This announcement was however delayed due to a scheduling conflict – apparently the state governor of Louisiana is on a trade mission to Cuba.

The local newspaper seems to think it’s BA. It’s been no secret that BA has been looking at LHR-MSY for some time. It has the biggest O&D traffic of any route from the US to LHR that does not offer a direct service and could be a perfect fit for a 787-8 a la AUS and SJC.

Let’s see if an announcement is made this week. It could be BA….it could be another european carrier. Or in fairness it could be a flight from over the border in Mexico.

I’m with the Advocate though. My money is on BA.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/business/article_4b794cd8-89bd-11e6-929e-c321ff7b090a.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

Bath_VIP
    Participant

My wife and I certainly hope it is BA! Our Thanksgiving trip is currently LHR-MIA-MSY-DFW-LHR for a 5 day trip and for a journey that short, direct would be preferable.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I reckon it will be LGW-EWR.

TominScotland
    Participant

FDOS_UK

Why would The New Orleans Advocate be reporting a LGW – EWR route? I am slightly confused….

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

From our sister website seatplans.com in June, on the new Frankfurt-New Orleans service:

http://www.seatplans.com/news/thomas-cook-subsidiary-to-launch-transatlantic-flights-to-new-orleans

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=767033]FDOS_UK

Why would The New Orleans Advocate be reporting a LGW – EWR route? I am slightly confused….

[/quote]

I know that, Tom, I wouldn’t share with the wider world, though 😉

onajetplane
    Participant

Meanwhile, and slightly off topic, they have once again cut their BHD flights this Winter. Just went to book a flight in January and they are down to 4 flights a day! BMI used to run up to 8 flights a day… Even this summer BA was doing up to 7 flights per day. So frustrating given their nice 9am-ish flight ex-BHD is now seemingly gone so its either 7am or after lunch! BHD’s loss is long-hauls/MSY/EWRs? gain! 🙁

TheLion
    Participant

Apparently the governor is back this week, and so will this event be, in time for New Orleans Airport director Iftikhar Ahmad’s last day on Weds 12 October.

Is he gonna go out with a bang and deliver NOLA’s long awaited London flight? That’s what the speculation is about…

Travellator
    Participant

onajetplane

Where did the BHD info come from, a quick check shows a decrease in January flights. EI ply this route as well although to T2. Just wonder how long 2 IAG airlines can compete.
    Will be a huge disadvantage for BHD PAX joining other BA flights at LHR.
    BA1430 from LHR and its return are regularly cancelled just now.

onajetplane
    Participant

@travellator Yes agreed on the decrease of flights in Jan? That’s what I had initially written – was just shocked to see it right down to 4flights a day. I never take the Aer Lingus options anyway due to having to change terminals at Heathrow/no tier points so it is a shame to see the BA options being cut. But as you say – cancellations have been rife. I have been cancelled x3 on the route since June – disgraceful really. But from the ever prominent bean counters these days, I can understand this MSY route will be much more lucrative than the short hop up to Belfast.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s a picture of Louis Armstrong International, New Orleans,
    Departure Gate with Tourists

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Interesting!

So we think that there will be flights to Louis Armstrong International Airport, New Orleans, Louisiana (MSY)

But at the same time, the mayor of St Louis is in town to lobby for BA flights to St Louis, Lambert (STL)

JohnHarper
    Participant

Which one does the no frills ground handling?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls