BA to DUR from OCT.

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

ZA has become very expensive. I spend 3-4 months a year there and on each trip I notice how much more expensive in ZAR terms many things have become. Factor in the strong rand and it’s no longer the bargain it once was. Some hotels are charging >R10000 per night. The new Silos in CPT Waterfront appears to have promotional rates of R17000 (£1000) per night, with rack rates of R27,000. You would be hard pressed to find a hotel in London’s West End that expensive.

Interesting that BA will be able to fill up to 7 widebodies a night (high season) in and out of CPT, JNB and DUR, whereas the ANC’s own airline and taxi service for its privileged battles to fill a single 330.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

And Emirates will still get my business even with a stop in DXB.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

capetonianm – Interesting that you should mention the Silos in Cape Town.

BBC recently ran a feature on this hotel. I was surprised to see how expensive it was.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09xy9xb/ad/amazing-hotels-life-beyond-the-lobby-series-2-5-the-silo-south-africa

Marc_ACB
    Participant

BA are taking booking on this route now – I have just booked for a cheeky week in Durban in November- (The 1st weekend of the new service – I’ve lobbied airlines for long enough, so I thought I best put my money where my mouth is).

Although as its scheduled to be the 787 (and there are other stories/posts re the engine issues and potential wet leases from Qatar) I am not offered a seat selection at this time.

openfly
    Participant

Having watched the conversion of the old grain silo over the years and then the BBC programme, we visited the Silo Hotel two weeks ago.
    We only had coffee but were struck by the disinterested staff, the unwiped tables and the Afritat “gift” shop. It’s an interesting building but I wouldn’t bother to go back for a £4 black coffee.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I had a glass of wine at the top of the hotel.

Strangely, given the water situation, they have a swimming pool up there – full of water.

I asked how this could be, and was told that it was filled with the half empty bottles of water left in the guest rooms.

Normally I can tell when people are joking, but this time, I have to confess, I was left baffled.

Silo-swimming-pool

maxgeorge
    Participant

Bluemooner, it’s not Natal anymore – that’s apartheid era. It’s KZN, KwaZuluNatal.

Lugano Pirate, Turkish Have been serving DUR for many years, at prices well below EK or QR.

capetonianm
    Participant

it’s not Natal anymore – that’s apartheid era. It’s KZN, KwaZuluNatal.

It’s not DF Malan any more but one of the things I love about Swiss is that according to them, it is :

bluemooner
    Participant

[quote quote=867145]Bluemooner, it’s not Natal anymore – that’s apartheid era. It’s KZN, KwaZuluNatal.

Lugano Pirate, Turkish Have been serving DUR for many years, at prices well below EK or QR.[/quote]

I did say “Natal historically was”
    Therefore I think I was factually correct
    Well aware that it is KZN now

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls