British Airways to cancel Fort Lauderdale

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

BA is to stop flying the LGW – Fort Lauderdale route from September.

BA launched flights to both OAK and FLL which many believed was in response to (and a direct threat to) Norwegian Airlines services on the same routes and their growing network at LGW.

BA has now axed both OAK and FLL.

I’m wondering if it’s because
    a) they no longer consider the rise of Norwegian such a threat (plausible)
    b) they just couldn’t compete with Norwegian cost wise even after ‘densifying’ the aircraft
    c) a combination of A and B (most likely)

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve been told that out of LGW, with the new densified B777s (in economy – 10-across), BA matches Norwegian on costs.

If that’s true, it isn’t coming off the route because it can’t match them for price…

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I have now discovered that Norwegian dropped LGW-FLL at the end of last month.

Norwegian transferred this service to MIA.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Norwegian have indeed moved to MIA so no reason for BA to continue, given they fly their own metal to MIA several times a day. (When I flew last month it was 2 x 747 and 1 x A380).

There is no lounge for BA pax at FLL either.

Shame as FLL is not a bad airport at all – compact and very easy to drive in and out of. On a good day though it is only a 30-40min drive from Miami which makes it look like they only really operated the route to compete with Norwegian.

rferguson
    Participant

It reminds me a little of the WOW air/Iceland Air route network.

Two Icelandic carriers competing on numerous routes from Rekyavik (like to Cleveland, USA). One went belly up the other announced they are ceasing the route as it’s no longer profitable.

Too many airlines chasing too few bums on seats. It’s great to stimulate demand in markets that warrant it but demand that turns a profit is not going to be never ending.

Swissdiver
    Participant

How long is the driving from FLL to MIA? 30-45 minutes? Let’s face it. It doesn’t make sense for BA to have a full base there.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Never saw this [either] route as a viable option from the outset…. not surprised.

Jetcruiser
    Participant

Good riddance to an old aircraft and hope the greedy airline (BA) lost a lot of money on the LGW/FLL route!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls