BA Tier Points on redemption

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• JDTraveller
    Participant

Have been awarded some very hefty TPS from a recent redemption booking that has taken me through Bronze and within flying distance of Silver for the first time – 20 TP to go.

Is there any chance that BA will realise their mistake and remove the points or should I try and get in a flight to take me into Silver?

ASK1945
    Participant

I have two answers to your last sentence:

1. I recently completed a first leg of a redemption booking (European Business) and was awared 80 points for the outward leg. When I completed the return, this disappeared and no tier points were awarded.

2. Anyway, why would you take a flight just to get Tier Points?

RoyJones
    Participant

Redemption bookings don’t receive points, anyway mine don’t

JDTraveller
    Participant

Inbound was completed over a month ago and TPs for both the outbound and inbound are in my account and showing only 20 to go to Silver – have already completed more than 4 flight sectors with BA this year.

As to why… this is the first time I have actually met Bronze target and so close to be able to get Silver. Ok, it’s probably not worth much to me, but you know one of those aspirations 🙂

Brett88
    Participant

I once got awarded tier points for a redemption booking on a Royal Jordanian return trip, booked through BA.com using avios, and they stayed on there. So you might get lucky!
    If they don’t disappear a week or so after your return leg then book another trip to get the last 20TP if that’s what you want to do! Don’t listen to someone’s condescending Qs re: why you’d book a flight for TP 😉 Silver will get you access to the excellent Cathay Pacific and Qantas lounges in LHR T3, which BA (and Finnair) fly to a number of short haul destinations from, so it would be a lovely start to a long weekend in Europe

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1207154]Don’t listen to someone’s condescending Qs re: why you’d book a flight for TP 😉

Why would you make such a critical statement about a question which was asked and answered?

1 user thanked author for this post.

JD_84
    Participant

I am hoping they are going to stay, its been a month and there have been another two sectors flown since which have credited. Hopefully a daytrip to Europe for lunch will get me into Silver – which as you say Brett is worth if for the CX Lounge at T3 (not that I have many flights out of T3 planned, apart from one in CW anyway).

I know its a folly… but one that I am happy to see if it pays off – what’s the worst that can happen!

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1207203]I am hoping they are going to stay, its been a month and there have been another two sectors flown since which have credited[/quote]

I now have two sets of long distance flights booked in the next few months with BA, in Club World using Avios and 241 vouchers; there are no tier points offered for any of the four flights involved. In between, I have a return flight to Rome booked (Club Europe) and the tier points are allocated.

I think you have been fortunate: good luck to you.

2 users thanked author for this post.

JD_84
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207331]

I think you may be right. My husband who is on the same booking has not had any TP credits. Let’s just hope that this could be one of those BA IT glitches that works in my favour. I’ll report back in a few weeks after my tier point runs if I get my Silver status 🙂

Brett88
    Participant

Because it was obvious why they were taking a flight ‘just to get TP’… because they wanted to reach Silver status for the first time which can bring quite a few nice benefits for the next year and a bit

Vistaro
    Participant

Many including me have done TP runs 🙂

Johnnyg
    Participant

Anyone remember Noel Phillips doing a day return Man – Houston – Man for a steak but mainly to get a few more miles to retain his Gold status.

K1ngston
    Participant

For my sins about 4 years ago I was awarded “Gold for life” with BA which basically sums up how many miles I have actually flown with them! I do not have to worry about TP flights to maintain status, nor do I fly with BA (if I can help it) but comes in very handy for flights with CX ( when they fly that is) Malaysian, JAL, Finnair, QR and others as you are immediately in their highest bracket of loyalty programmes…

So for those of you chasing those TP keep going 🙂

FCTraveller
    Participant

What usually determines if you earn Tier Points on any airline is the fare class code. For example on BA, First Class has three fare class codes: A, F and Z. A and F are paid fares and earn Tier Points and Avios and Z is for Avios bookings and does not earn Tier Points and Avios. The exact same thing has happened to me in the past on many occasions and most of the time, there was a straightforward explanation. If the airline has to switch you to another flight, say, because your original flight was cancelled, and if there are no Avios seats on the new flight, they have no choice and have to book you on a revenue fare class code, for example A or F in First. However, something has been happening of late because it has also happened to me three times in the past two months and each time, I cannot explain it with the situation I’ve described above. I got 40 tier points for a flight from Europe to London. Then one week later I got 210 tier points for a flight to the USA and then another 210 tier points coming back from the USA. On my statement, the First Class flights with Tier Points are showing as fare code Z. My partner who is always on the same booking only got Tier Points on one of the flights to the USA. So if this is happening to other people at the moment, then BA must have some kind of glitch; I just wish I knew what it was. Unfortunately for me, the last credit was one day after my Tier Points renewal date so I missed out on getting Silver. Hopefully the glitch will still happen on my next flight this month. It is also interesting to note that Virgin give tier points on award bookings (but not Virgin Points) and Delta Sky Miles have just announced that they will continue to aware tier points on award bookings after doing so during the pandemic to encourage travel.

CAI
    Participant

I had a large amount of American Airlines miles but no tier status and 4 years ago used the miles to book Club World return flights to Joburg with BA. Because I did not have tier status with AA their system would not allow me to book a seat (I wanted upstairs on the A380).I had Silver status with BA and called them to request a seat which they were able to provide. This must have caused an IT glitch as I received BA Avios and tier points for these flights even though I had redeemed miles. The following year, still having a good stash of AA miles, I booked redemption flights with BA to Santiago in First hoping that the ‘mistake’ would reoccur, but it didn’t, so BA must have fixed the glitch.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls