BA Tier Points issue

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

FFlyerTJW1
    Participant

I recently had a booking to fly outbound to IAD in WTP and back from ORD. I upgraded the outbound flight to Club using Avios and paying taxes. On the manage my booking section, the booking showed I would be credited 230 TPs. However, only 180 TPs have been credited. When I queried with BAEC they said the booking was credited correctly. Has anybody else seen before where the TPs accrued on the booking is not the same as TPs credited to the account? In my experience, it’s always matched up before.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

That is correct. If you booked Premium Economy both ways then only entitled to 180 TP’s. Upgrade to Club won’t earn you the Club level of points – maybe the MMB section of the website didn’t pick this up correctly.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Agreed – an Avios funded upgrade doesn’t attract additional TPs. Must be a glitch in the system for it to show otherwise.

HappyEconomy
    Participant

Hello I’m sorry to jump in on his thread, I’m a new poster but have been avidly reading this forum for a while now, I hope you don’t mind me posting?

I have a question regarding BA tier points that I couldn’t really find an answer to on the exec club website.

I’ve been casually collecting avios points over the years not at all seriously as mainly just for leisure travel and have only ever been at blue level. My annual tier points are at just over 105 but my lifetime tier points are near 300.

My question: is there ever a point whereby your lifetime tier points will move you into the next level, for example bronze, even though you wouldn’t have enough tier points for bronze that year? And would that mean you stay at bronze, silver etc forever?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

HappyEconomy – 14/05/2016 13:56 BST

No, it doesn’t work like that, sadly.

You can get a lifetime Gold status – but you’ll need to collect another 34,700 to have one 😉

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

OK. So Avios upgrade earns TP at the original cabin rate.

Does a cash upgrade earn you TP at the original or new cabin rate?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

AFAIK, it should earn points for the new cabin, but they do not always credit automatically.

Filbyemt
    Participant

Hi,
    I booked a reward flight using companion voucher to a west coast city & on manage my booking full points and avios values were there right up to us actually taking the flights. But they were not awarded.

Chutzpahflyer
    Participant

can I check what you wrote, TimFitzgerald? That booking PE then upgrading should earn the appropriate PE tier points? I ask because I booked and paid for PE, but upgraded to Club on a return flight to Seoul and appear to have earned no tier points. Which means I’m about to lose my Silver status, whereas the PE tier points will get me safely over the barrier. So can I phone Exec Club to get those tier points credited?
    I booked as an upgrade reward flight; not a later upgrade – does this make a difference?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Chutzpahflyer

Yes if you book Premium and upgrade to Club you should get the Premium level of Tier points & Avios. However sometimes on upgrades because of the booking class used it won’t credit correctly and give you zero – but a call to Exec Club should see points added fairly quickly.

kbembel
    Participant

Just to be complete. When you pay cash for the upgrade, than you will get the extra Tier points. I did it already two times…an upgrade from B to First and got automatically 210 Tier points instead of 140.

ChrisJR
    Participant

It is not uncommon (from my experience) to be accidentally credited tier points for avios upgrade flights (e.g. 140 instead of 90 if you upgraded from WT+ to CW) especially if you break your journey (e.g. LHR-IAD BWI-LHR)

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Yes. Tier Points are earned against the cabin you have originally paid for only.
    180 TP is correct

Str8Talking
    Participant

Anytime I have upgraded a cash ticket with cash, I have always received the TPs of the upgraded cabin. Essentially what was paid for, whether it was a promotional upgrade offer or otherwise. TPs always credited automatically with no issue. Upgrades with cash done at the airport on the day of travel may not credit the upgraded TPs automatically but BA have been happy to adjust. For upgrades using Avios, I have only ever received the TPs for the original class paid for in cash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls