BA tier points flying on AA

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

Just wondered if I get BA tier points when flying on AA .. transatlantic .. and domestically ?

flier74
    Participant

I cant comment on transtalantic routes, however you will get tier points for sure on domestic rputes and flights originating rom the US to other countries.
    Try ba.com > Executive Cub > Collect Avios > Flight Calculator
    So looking at this it seems you earn TP on Transtalantic Routes too.

Travelling on domestic USA flights in First is a good Tier Point earner
    Hope this helps

first_class_please
    Participant

Yes, full oneworld member so points on all flights / classes.

Can only find the old points table without much effort.

Economy Business Class First Class

Flights less than 2000 miles 20 40 60

Flights more than 2000 miles 60 120 180

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

And here’s a handy tip, if you book AA domestic flights on AA.com as part of a J class itinerary say from London, they book into the higher fare classes (eg A or F) and so yield 60 TPs each. Whereas the same flights booked through ba.com only attract the standard short haul business TPs at 40 a go.

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

couldntthinkofaname

i am not clear on what you mean, can you explain more or show us how to do this

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

For example, if you look to book LHR to MIA in Business on ba.com, you’ll see that in addition to the direct services, alternative routings connecting onto AA domestic flights are also offered. These AA domestics are offered on the BA codeshares but book into say, J or I fare classes therefore netting 40 TPs.

However, if you book the very same flights on aa.com again in business, the domestic legs are booked on the very same flights but with the AA flight numbers and, as they book into the higher class fares such as A, or F, they are recognised as short haul First class flights and so attract 60 TPs a flight.

This just seems to be a glitch in the system as AA domestic flights are all 2 class services and so you get the same seats whether you book your itinerary in business on ba.com or on aa.com but booking through the latter gets you more TPs. (Ofcourse, if you book a First class itinerary with AA domestic legs on ba.com, it will book into the higher classes on the AA flights).

C

Tim2soza
    Participant

If you book indirect flights, e.g ORD-DFW-LAX you get double tier points. In First ( domestic ) it yields 60 TP per sector so 240 for a return with a bounce.

first_class_please
    Participant

And if you can make the flight over 2000 miles then its the same tier points as the transatlantic flight. Basically don’t route via ORD or DFW if possible, try NYC or MIA to get to West Coast, if the extra tier points are needed.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Earning TPs on AA is extremely good value, especially for those just short of a specific threshold.

Agamemnon
    Participant

On a related AA/BA theme… I am BAEC Gold and am flying AA Business to LAX return next week.

Two questions. Is the Gold lounge worth visiting over and above the standard one at LAX (I wasn’t that impressed withe the AA lounge at JFK last year)?

Also, looking at the seat plans both flights look reasonably busy, will my gold card hold any sway for a possible upgrade or no because it’s BA? Presumably they’ll upgrade AA card holders first?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls