BA technical issues

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• millionsofmiles
    Participant

@StephenLondon

What I mention is the poor maintenance which has become part of the industry. Faults which are classified as “can wait”, “not urgent” like lighting, IFE, seats, dirt, one out of many toilet not working and such.

But if it all ads up, finally the plane is not really worthy to fly, although formally still “airworthy”. The active time of a plane must be as high as possible, the downtime as low as possible..thus a lot of small repairs are just not done.
    And this does not affest BA alone. BA just seems to be hit harder in the last weeks.
    Since I sguttled on some routes in earlier years, a plane I flew out of BKK to FRA had a nonfunctioning seat moto in F. Two weeks later, same plane, same route, same problem. You understand what I mean?
    Nothing really substantial…but it shatters the image of an airline and the produt itself.

SimonS1
    Participant

BA109 to Dubai cancelled again last night – has BA thrown in the towel on the route?

4 cancellations in little more than a week and a post on Flyertalk suggests it will be cancelled again on 24th.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Was any reason given for the cancellation? The other DXB flight has had cancellations as well. Sometimes both DXB flights on the same day. With that rate of cancellations it’s getting to the point you can’t rely on it.

SimonS1
    Participant

Well well well. BA 109 cancelled again to Dubai last night.

Telling clients in Dubai for today’s return that they will be rebooked for tomorrow and that they are not entitled to any compensation!!

All going pear shaped clearly. And to think dear old Kruggles was questioning why people fly EK.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Do you know why these DXB flights keep getting cancelled?

SimonS1
    Participant

I gather they were telling people in Dubai that the plane had gone tech. However I have also seen somewhere that another cancellation is planned for 24th. Lets see.

More likely the loads are low or not enough aircraft. JHB was also cancelled yesterday and seems to be a regular cut as is Abu Dhabi/Muscat.

TominScotland
    Participant

LOL, SimonS1 – is this your “We all love” BA week? IMHO, may I politely venture to suggest that you might use rather stronger sources of evidence for your information than “I have also seen somewhere……”? Reminds me of my late mother-in-law who espoused all sorts of outlandish opinions with the starting line that “They say….”.

I hope that I am not breaking Forum etiquette rules here but I do feel that, on a serious business travel site, information should be based on verifiable sources which, in this case, the informant is not providing.

SimonS1
    Participant

We will see tomorrow I guess.

SimonS1
    Participant

TominScotland – here is your “verifiable source”. Check departures to Dubai tomorrow and you will see what I stated was correct.

http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

Happy now? Maybe it was not so outlandish after all 😉

You didn’t indicate in your post that that you had amended it to include the bits about forum etiquette and you mother in law after my first reply. Hope I’m not breaching forum etiquette by suggesting credible users of a serious business travel site don’t normally do that (although modern forum software usually highlights this).

HarryMonk
    Participant

looking more like planned cancellations due to loads? With so much direct capacity to Dubai with Emirates both from London and the regions and also now from Qantas I wonder how much longer BA can sustain two flights a day on this route. One maybe, but surely better to use the slots and aircraft for somewhere new.

Bucksnet
    Participant

A scheduled flight should fly no matter what the loads are.

If people cannot trust an airline to keep to its schedule, then they will book elsewhere and the loads will get worse.

BA are going triple daily from LHR to DXB in October, so the demand must be there.

SimonS1
    Participant

If the demand is there they must be losing some serious revenues as the seem to be cancelling this route at least two or three times a week.

thecartoonman
    Participant

I am shortly about to book flights to DXB in late September, but this raft of flight cancellations to DXB has got me wondering whether I can take a chance with BA, since I really do not want to be delayed by a day, or so, at either end of the trip.

Is this normal for an airline such as BA to cancel this many flights a week to one destination, or is there a particular issue with this route at this time of the year?

Emirates with 6 odd flights a day and the A380 looks to be the beneficiary of my ‘hard earned’, since at the moment, it seems impossible to rely on BA to run the 2 flights a day.

Do any of the BA insiders on the forum, or regular DXB travellers have any idea what is going on here?

My understanding, is that despite this being the low season for DXB the BA flights are pretty busy.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Low season or not the flights should run. BA should know projected demand for any given month, and if the scheduled plane is too big then they can put a smaller plane on the route instead of just cancelling random flights.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls