BA T5 First lounge…disaster.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 215 total)

• pdwtrip
    Participant

While the word ‘disaster’ is probably over the top – it certainly is confusing.
    Travelled last Friday in F and used the Concord lounge – staff seemed to be fine, food good; although had run out of the fishcakes and poached eggs. Rose Bollinger delicious.
    Decided to have a look round the F and Galleries lounges to compare the changes – and noted that now biscuits served in large jars – very unhygenic and would not be trying those. Also, cake was cut into slices onto very large trays – not only unappetising – but also ensures that it will be dried out in no time. No choice of crisps (my favourite Chilli flavour not to be seen – it’s plain or nothing!). My FD was on the trip with me and confirmed that the magazines that she usually enjoys a flick through were all absent – in all lounges.
    I am sure that the above changes will have reduced consumption and hence will have saved money – but it does smack of penny pinching of the worst kind – petty. It’s confusing because I have been participating in the BA Future Lab to see what enhancements can be made to the BA product to engage with the customer experience. I am now wondering why I am bothering.
    Shame about the above changes – given that the flight was excellent with top notch cabin team; only negatives is the poor quality display used in NF and on this 777 the reduced choice of movies on the IFE.

JeremyWood
    Participant

In the North lounge just before 3pm today 23 May, and a good choice of hot buffet items – vegeterian and merat-containing, and soup rolls and sandwiches.
    Still no choice of crisp flavours though – and my old favourite chocolate mini-muffins seem to have disappeared. Pleanty of staff keeping things tidy also.
    So on balance a pass mark but could do better

londonlad
    Participant

For any that feel strongly enough, there is a thread on flyertalk started by the BA Exec Club officials to gather views on the present food offerings in BA lounges.

Make your views heard…

BarbicanLondon
    Participant

Travelled VS Upper couple weeks ago LHR to JNB, first time on VS for over 12 years!!

VS Lounge in T3 far superior to all BA lounges except the Concorde Room. VS staff highly motivated in lounge a real contrast to the outsourced staff in BA lounges!

BA far better onboard.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

ABrabin – 23/05/2013 14:09 GMT

I have the perfect solution! Book a fully refundable J class fare with VS and BA leaving at approx the same time.

Check in for the VS flight and head straight to Clubhouse at T3. Also check in for the BA flight. Enjoy Clubhouse for a few hours then call VS and tell them you regrettfully need to cancel your fully refundable J fare. Exit lounge. Head to T5 and board your BA flight (or stay in T3 if heading to BKK etc with BA).

Criminal but well within the rules and gets you the best of both worlds, VS lounge and BA onboard.

Just a thought.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

I took the trouble to read the comment book by the hot buffet yesterday morning.

I think I can safely say it was cover to cover fury, anger and disappointment. I am not sure I have ever read anything quite like it.

The thing about that lounge is that is it what most trading companies would kill for: a place through which most of its highest value, most loyal and biggest spending customers pass very regularly. It defies belief that BA should allow so many of them to be so unhappy.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

I should add that in the 40 minutes I was sat having my (very good) sausages and (dreadful) scrambled egg, two senior members of staff wandered over and perused the book with rather sheepish expressions on their faces.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s appalling.

I have made my feelings known.

That is all.

openfly
    Participant

HedgeFundFlyer…….was that T5 or LGW First?

VK……so glad you agree and find it “appalling”. Lets hope the situation improves and that very senior managers are listening.

VintageKrug
    Participant

They are very much listening.

Speaking to a Baxter Storey manager yesterday, they are very “embarrassed” by the situation. In summary it appears they do not yet have full access to the offsite preparation facilities the previous supplier used (formerlyBAA’s T5 prohibits deep fat fryers and some types of oven/grill, which complicates things somewhat).

No excuse whatsoever for this as even I knew this contract was being renegotiated last summer, and Compass’ replacement was announced in February so plenty of time to prepare.

I would say that in the F lounge I enjoyed a very decent Full English breakfast, the champagne remains excellent (Taittinger 2005, retailing at £50/bottle and Bolly Rose as well as something unmentionable for Americans who know no better to drink). The oft-criticised jars of cookies are actually a bespoke husband and wife supplier, which do not deserve the disparaging comments; tongues are freely available and there are clear notices about not handling the contents.

The offerings in the Galleries were unacceptable for breakfast (mostly toast) and lunch (trays of slop the gardener wouldn’t feed to the dogs), and there is little differentiation between Galleries and Galleries F for the lunchtime period; the quality and range well below standard, and is not as good as Compass offered during their last hurrah (Compass is notorious for upping its game late in the day, though).

I haven’t sampled the evening offerings, which may or may not, be better.

However, for balance, then new sandwiches are an improvement, square cut and better fillings.

Also, staff seem better motivated, though that might simply because the place is swarming with wide-eyed managers obviously exercised about the situation.

This new contract was not focussed on price, but on improving the offering; I think we can see elements of that, but the broader impression is the opposite. I am assured there will be marked improvements during the course of the summer.

There better had be.

http://www.baxterstorey.com/contact

JohnHarper
    Participant

VintageKrug – 23/05/2013 15:23 GMT

I would say that in the F lounge I enjoyed a very decent Full English breakfast, the champagne remains excellent (Taittinger 2005, retailing at £50/bottle and Bolly Rose as well as something unmentionable for Americans who know no better to drink). The oft-criticised jars of cookies are actually a bespoke husband and wife supplier, which do not deserve the disparaging comments; tongues are freely available and there are clear notices about not handling the contents.

I dread to think what the freely available tongues are doing in the cookie jars.

Perhaps it was a mis-spelling for tongs?

Shearer
    Participant

LOL

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

The cookies are absolutely delicious. Far superior to the previous offering in quality.

However, I do see the concern that jars are not very hygienic and that pre-wrapped biscuits are preferable in such a situation.

As for the lack of crisp flavours and the poor selection of journals: I don’t eat crisps and have all the reading material I need on my Ipad.

However, if BA is p**sing off its best customers for the cost of a few bags of Monster Munch and a few copies of Hello Magazine, someone needs to be fired.

SimonS1
    Participant

Never mind John, the tongs (or is it tongues) will be wagging when VK has his 20 mins with WW.

In fact I can’t think of a more appropriate venue than the Taste of London to give Mr Walsh a piece of the Krug mind.

But will Becky be there lapping it all up??

FlightDoctor
    Participant

I for one am pleased with the new offering. I need a gluten free diet and the previous caterer did not seem to acknowledge the existence of food allergies and the staff seemed clueless when asked for advice. The new caterer thankfully does, labelling all the food offerings clearly with allergy information, and I had a very nice HoneyBuns individually wrapped GF cookie last week (available on request).

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 215 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls