BA suspends routes due to Ebola

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

rferguson
    Participant

BA has announced it has suspended it’s route to Monrovia via Freetown until at least the end of August due to ‘concerns over public health’.

Wonder if this will be the tip of the iceberg?

BigDog.
    Participant

Good, and about time too. Had heard from some 767 crew that crew were reporting sick when scheduled Monrovia as there appeared to be no precautions whatsoever, especially in the terminal (where thermoscan equipment to check passengers’ temperature could help) and they felt seriously at risk.

rferguson
    Participant

That’s pretty much the case BigDog. Crews have raised their fears about operating the route with the company for a while now. However BA have continued to insist it is ‘safe’ for crews to slip there. Actually only a few days ago we received an email from a manager reassuring us it is safe and telling us not to adopt the measures some crew on the route had taken upon themselves to do (using gloves to collect in used items and blocking off a toilet just for crew to use). The email continued to explain that Ebola is very difficult to transit, only via bodily fluids etc etc.

What’s changed between a few days ago and now…..who knows.

**These are my own personal opinions and do not reflect those of my employer**

LadyLlondon
    Participant

Good. It’s about time there was some common sense and protecting crews and other passengers instead of political correctness.

rferguson
    Participant

Something tells me that the legal department would have had a big say in this. The word ‘liability’ springs to mind. Only three days before the route was suspended our area manager was sending us emails reassuring us all is safe and ok and no need to use gloves onboard etc.

**These are my personal opinions only and not those of my employer**

BigDog.
    Participant

With all due respect Lady London I doubt if “political correctness” was a decisive factor.

Imo given the abrupt volte face it would be more a mix of economics and more so increased liability.

Economics due to decreasing loads, liability resulting from any “passenger upset” contagion. Had heard of delay due to aircraft loos needing a deep clean before being running a flight to Monrovia.

Would like to see BA management leading from the front on this and for them to work the route themselves with their families before being so blasé, operating in/witnessing the conditions especially within the terminal. Imo it would be outrageous to have “uniform standards” trumping employee welfare and protection.

Cabin crew regularly pick-up items which have potential fluids on them, from used cups, cutlery to napkins/tissues. Using latex gloves is an obvious minimum protection whether uniform standard or not.

rferguson
    Participant

The company doctor gave an update on the Ebola situation and why the route was suspended. While the airline is satisfied the Ebola situation poses little risk, the company received an update that they couldn’t guarantee appropriate medical treatment would be available in Monrovia as medical facilities are being closed.

I have been following this one very closely, yet a certain poster is of the opinion that Yellow Fever is not relevant on this Forum.

rferguson
    Participant

The suspension of the Monrovia/Freetown route has now been extended until December 31st.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls